Do apple employees really sleep?

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Feb 15, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

How many of your guys work at one infinite loop? Because I get the feeling that you the apple guys dont really read any of the mac forums or anything because they dont care. Are any among you actual apple engineers @ Qupertino? or even janitors?

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

probably wouldnt say if they were anyways.

iJon

3. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Well if you are then you could just say you know of apple employees who look at this.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I bet some employees hit the rumor sites. When I was working at CART I hit the top 2 or 3 CART forums on a pretty regular basis to see what the natives were talking about. ;) I rarely posted and when I did I never mentioned that I worked for CART.

Lethal

5. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Everyone has to sleep, and anyways, if their bosses found out that they were posting on rumors sites they would get the boot fast!
    Thats just the way these things work.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have known a few apple people

they work like anybody else in computers in northern california, but they actually do "care" and it shows

but because they care, they are easier to get for lower salaries which is often the case

the apple person i knew who worked there the longest basically couldn't afford paying the high silicon valley rents and struck out on their own, as a art director, for twice the money

but that is an unfortunate deal with rents and mortgages in most of california...they seem to go up faster than salaries do

but not all people are angry about apple inc's lower than normal pay...i know a lady who made a really good salary working for ibm but she got so tired of its military type of authority that she decided to take the same job at apple and she said it was much more laid back and friendly...and happiness in one's job is sometimes better than doing the same job with more pay but working at a place that is too stiff

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Apple employees are human they need sleep like anyone else. Apple from all appearances seems like a more relaxed and fun place to work. I do know that it you mention anything about a forum at an Apple Store they quickly want to change the subject.

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

he he...i hear you wdlove

the apple store employees are so tired of the rumors because they always promise more than apple inc is able to deliver

companies like dell, hp, and others most always surpass people's expectations so naturally some may feel apple should dazzle us with their lower prices and higher technology...but apple still lags way behind the pc comapnies and offer less ram, less speed, a weaker video card, and less software at a "higher" price

but we pay for a more reliable machine with a much more logical operating system which is intuitive and easy to learn and for many, it's worth the slower clock speeds and less ram we have to live with

9. The_Wall macrumors member

Anytime I go into an Apple store I be sure and use the computers to hit up Macrumors, and some other rumor sites. haha. hope they don't mind.

The_Wall

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have visited a forum a couple of times but not recently. I felt a little self conscious. They probably don't mind though, the Mac's are there for test drives.

11. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I am reading this thread in the Apple Ginza store...

12. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

I don't think it's really a case of PC manufacturers surpassing anyone's expectations. In general in the PC industry the only truly rumored information is what Intel & AMD are doing next, and in the end it all comes down to how fast their next CPU will be. Sometimes we hear about ATi or nVidia's next video card, but that goes for Macs & PCs. And no one is running "DellRumors" or "GatewayRumors" hoping to get an early jump on what they are doing - consumers that are looking for a PC tend to not even know what they are going to buy until they get to their local electronics store.

So saying that PC makers surpass their customers' expectations isn't really the reality - most PC customers have no expectations until they get to the store. But there is a large community of Mac users who expect that next week we'll see 2.5Ghz PMG5s and if Apple doesn't deliver they will be running to the boards to decree that Apple doesn't care about making faster computers - even if they show up the week after.

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

You should go to some random rumor on the forum like some quantum processor iMac G5 and ask "when is this coming out?" I wonder how an employee would respond to that.

14. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i bet steve jobs has a department just to cruise around the forums to get ideas, on what to improvve and develop and to help dissuade angry users hehe

15. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I know a few friends at Cupertino. The general consensus is "We don't care about rumors", generally because they are a waste of time for the guys writing the rumors and because any posts could get them in trouble back in the office.

16. iGav macrumors G3

Do Apple employees really sleep?

yes... generally around the time I need AppleCare and a quick repair turn around... :rolleyes: :p

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

perhaps that's the situation where you are, but here in silicon valley many hundreds of thousands of us high tech workers rely heavily on what happens in the pc world and there are expectations (to say the least), and in some ways people who are not in high tech but in northern california because of all the everyday consumers here who are in the field who use services and goods from other industries

we have more than 2600 companies in six counties here in the silicon valley region and besides companies watching each other, there is a lot of sharing of technology...sometimes not by permission ;)