Do Apple LCD's suck for gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by ArmouredGuitar, Jul 16, 2004.

1. ArmouredGuitar macrumors member

I am looking into a new LCD monitor and am wondering if I should buy a samsung 17" with 12ms or an apple 20" with 16ms. I dont want ghosting.
    What do you guys suggest?

~~~~~Thanks~~~~~

2. m.r.m. macrumors regular

there aren't any independant reviews on the apple displays yet. most here say the 20" won't ghost. best you check them both out yourself before buying. you need to see with your own eyes, because i frankly believe that the level of ghosting depends on the use. a monitor may not ghost during an action movie, but very well may do it while playing a first person shooter. generally you should not go over 16ms, so the 12ms display may be better, but if the 20" display doesn't ghost, i for one would prefer it! :p

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

When I was working at CompUSA we had Unreal Tournament 2004 running on a Dual 1.8 G5 with the old 20" Cinema. I thought it looked great. I never noticed any ghosting on it. Not sure what the response time on the old Cinemas were, but I think it improved a little bit.

There's my anecdotal evidence for you. I recommend checking them out in person if at all possible.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

take that 16ms response time that Apple has posted with a grain of salt.

They also claim they are getting 16ms on the 30" version, which certain editors of certain online review sites say isn't currently physically possible at any production facility on Earth.

the 20" could easily be 16ms now, and if it really is, then you'll not see much if any ghosting. That said, if you're running it on a Mac, you won't see ghosting because the FPS will be too low anyway...

since you can use the new Cinema Displays on a PC (i would imagine, anyway, since it is just standard DVI), I think you might be wanting it for a gaming PC...in that case, 16ms is about where you should cap yourself. any slower than that, and you WILL see ghosting.

The old Cinema Displays most certainly exhibited ghosting in a fast game. I'm betting that the one kgarner saw wasn't ghosting because the game wasn't running fast enough to ghost (that's my experience with my dual 1.8, anyway).

I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 213T that is I believe 16ms, but sometimes I see ghosting on Q3, which is the only game I can really get to run on my machine fast enough to tell...

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

It's possible, we had the settings cranked to the maximum on it so it may not have been getting enough frames per second to see any ghosting. That siad, we didn't see much in the way of jerkiness either. Also, this was a stock model, with more RAM and so forth I would imagine that it could put out even more frames per second.

6. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

17" doesn't ghost

I've got a 17inch studio, and i've never noticed ghosting at all. Call of Duty and UT2004 both run at high FPS, and i have never noticed a problem. But hey, if you've got the cash, get a 20". I personally would rather have 2 17inch. On ebay they're way cheap now.

7. m.r.m. macrumors regular

really, try to find a retail store that will let you do some testing. i tested counterstrike (pc) on a couple of displays with 16ms. they all performed below par and def. not comparably to a good crt monitor. so, it also depends what games you're into. my personal experience does in no way mean the apple displays will def. ghost just because they're 16ms. as i said before, many here say they don't!
    if you're into warcraft or similar games, you don't need to worry about ghosting, but if you're into first person shooters i'd rather recommend getting a very good crt monitor. pretty much all counterstrike (i can only speak of games i know well, sorry :p ) pros use crt monitors. the cpl (cyberathlete professional league) uses crt monitors at their events (and these parties have the cash to blow on the best possible equipment). what games do you plan to play?

8. applekid macrumors 68020

If the display is expensive, it's most likely will not have ghosting, tearing, etc. ;)

But seriuosly, these displays are expensive for a reason because of their quality. My friend has a Samsung display (don't know what size, he paid $3K), and it doesn't ghost or anything. I've also used plenty of Apple displays in my lifetime. All of the Cinema Displays (except for the latest generation), the iMacs, the PowerBooks, and iBook. All of them (except maybe the iBook), are fit for gaming. They're sharp and have no problems.

9. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

I can remeber reading a tomshardware review of 16ms screens when they were pretty much the best you could get at a reasonable price and they seemed to think that 16ms was about the threshold where an LCD was perfectly good for gaming. How much better a 12ms would be I have no idea, I would really advise you try both, things where eyes and ears are needed leading to subjective opinion are always best tested in person.

10. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I played UT2004 on a 30'' cinema display at WWDC with no ghosting

11. Tremaine macrumors member

I have a new 20" ACD and don't see any ghosting in movies or FPS (Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six3). It is gorgeous.

12. clr900 macrumors regular

That must have been amazing.