Do Commercial Planes Need Co-Pilots?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ucfgrad93, Sep 8, 2010.

1. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Not according to the CEO of Ryanair.

This seems like a really bad idea to me.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/09/...ine-boss-questions-why-planes-need-co-pilots/

2. macrumors 6502a

3. Moderator emeritus

Fly the friendly skies.

4. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nah, far better to keep two pilots but train them to pour drinks and sell perfume. For one thing, that's got to be cheaper than sending the flight attendants to pilot school.

It's a winning solution, it really is.

5. macrumors G5

yg17

The guy's not serious. Every year he makes a stupid comment like this to draw attention to himself and it works. He's proposed charging to use the lavs and standing room only - neither of which have ever seen the light of day, and I don't think the CAA (or the other European countries' equivalents) would even let a 737 leave the ground without 2 pilots.

6. Moderator emeritus

On my recent flight, it wasn't the purser or cabin crew reminding us via onboard announcements that the duty-free carts were coming round. Personally, I think the oxygen masks should have scratch 'n sniff air deodoriser adverts on them.

7. macrumors G3

dmr727

I think he's just trying to get attention. Anyone involved in the industry knows better.

8. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well he's got to make the Asian budget carriers look high class.

9. macrumors G3

dmr727

Heh heh - that he does!

I'd post a diatribe here, but BV's link sums up the issue pretty nicely.

10. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Was thinking the same thing... he says the stuff he does just to get publicity - time for the press to ignore him!

11. macrumors 6502a

I rather liked his standing arrangement suggestion.

12. macrumors 6502a

Asia has some major high class airlines such as Singapore Airlines :eek:

13. macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Practically though, as you probably know, it could never work. The centre of gravity of the "seat" - or backrest, as it'd become - would be so far off the floor, it'd require an awful lot of bracing. The plane would likely end up heavier.

That, and few people would like being strapped in at the ankles, waist and shoulders, as would likely be required.

Regarding only a single pilot - as was alluded to above, suggestions like this - and the standing room, and the £1 toilet charge - are nothing but publicity stunts. Ever seen the amount of work a pilot does, particularly at take-off and landing? He'll not be doing it by himself in our life time!

I'm happy they've pulled out of Belfast City airport, to be honest. They fly to so few airports from there at the moment that it's no real loss to the consumer in terms of competition, unless they used the service before. I didn't - not a fan of £30 card charges.

14. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Why not just install a vending machine and a drink dispenser beside the lavatories.

No flight attendants needed at all. Problem solved!

15. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Then who would land the plane? I don't think you've thought this one through. ;)

16. macrumors 603

notjustjay

[​IMG]

17. macrumors 603

OutThere

Ryanair is completely ridiculous. I flew from Paris to Glasgow, then from Liverpool to Nantes. Flight out cost €10 total, and the return fare was free, with £8 of fees. Clearly the price is interesting, but the experience was, perhaps, not worth the savings.

The airport we left from was in farmland an hour and a half outside of Paris, and was little more than a doublewide trailer with a huge driveway. Luckily they had a mini-mart that sold large cans of beer at low prices. After the finding-a-seat free for all, in flight there were ads played over the loudspeakers constantly trying to get us to buy little ketchup packets of liquor at exorbitant prices. After a landing that felt much steeper than typical, we were pleased to get off the plane which was loaded with loud, drunk chavs returning home.

The return trip was similar, but the airports were more legitimate than 'Paris - Beauvais'. In retrospect I think I'd certainly pay the 'real airline' premium for a more comfortable, quieter flight from a real airport. :p

18. macrumors regular

NotJustJay wins the internet

NotJustJay wins. The rest of you can go home.

-fred

19. macrumors regular

Otto rules!

But "Surely you can't be serious." :)

20. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Attached Files:

21. macrumors 601

Here you have it: O'Leary admits that he's full of it.

link

Now the question is, will the market support a price increase and a removal of fees, or will many continue to jump only at the lowest initial cost?

22. macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I hold a private pilots certificate and I think it is extremely important to have at the very least 2 capable pilots on board just to monitor the radio, watch for traffic, help each other stay alert and most importantly, question any bad judgement that your fellow right or left seater has.

23. macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Emergencies like this are why you need a co-pilot:

http://jalopnik.com/5629528/how-i-saved-a-747-from-crashing

An utterly amazing story of how the rudder malfunctioned on a 747 and only the strength of the pilot and copilot were able to wrestle control of the aircraft from the computer/hydraulic systems.

24. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

:confused:

25. macrumors 6502a

iDisk

It's a very bad idea.

2 is better then 1

Air traffic and runway traffic