Do Digital Copies Play on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rscott505, Oct 28, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I just noticed that Wall-E will be released in a set that includes a digital copy.

While I could just order it on iTunes, since I will give it as a gift to my kids at the holidays, I want to give them a physical present.

But I really like digital versions of kids' movies since they don't scratch. (Amazing how people don't see this value in Apple TV since every movie I got from Netflix was scratched and unwatchable. But that is for another day)

So my question is: Does the digital copy work on Apple TV, or only on an iPod.

I also ask because the advertisement on Amazon where I found this indicates that it's for watching movies on the go.

2. macrumors newbie

I was able to watch the Digital copy of Sex and the City that came with the Deluxe DVD, so I would assume that it others would be the same.

3. macrumors 65816

I would say digital copies play fairly well.

Handbrake or Fairmount plus DTOX (DVD2OneX) will make perfectly syncable digital copies of all your DVDs. :D

4. macrumors 6502

Might have to use Mac the ripper fist then dvd2one then handbrake

5. macrumors 65816

Fairmount loads libdvdcss from VLC and decrypts the DVD, DTOX (DVD2OneX) then copies the DVD movie track to your drive ignoring zero cells (RipGuard/ARccOS), then Handbrake or $OTHER_ENCODER can encode the movie for you.

It is sad that you have to use two or three pieces of software to get a digital copy of your DVD, but I like to watch my DVDs on my iPhone so I'm okay with it. :D