Do disk images (.dmg) work instead of CDs?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Matt01792, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Matt01792 macrumors member

As an iBook user it's a pain to carry CDs around with me, but the games I play require them to run it so...

Would it be possible to create a virtual CD (a .dmg file with the same name as the disc) that I can then mount instead of the using the disc? Somehow, I don't think it'll be as simple as that though... :confused:

Many thanks for any help you can give. :)

2. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

Shure should.

A DMG when mounted is the equivilant of a regular CD. It should work. I see no way that the game can figure out if there is a regular cd in the drive or if it's an image.
    Try it and find out?

3. Matt01792 thread starter macrumors member

Nope :(

Just did, and it doesn't. The CDs have the same name, with the same data (I went into Disk Utility and selected 'Images > New > Image from folder...') and it doesn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

4. applekid macrumors 68020

You are definitely doing something wrong. This topic has popped up a few times before.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

What you need to do is is create a blank disk image, and select about 50 more MB than the total size of the data on the CD. If you have 500 MB of data you want to copy, then make a .dmg about 550 MB. Once you've done that, just directly copy the data from the CD to the .dmg.

6. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

It depends on the game. Some games (i.e. UT2004) "know" that you don't have the CD. Other games (i.e. Blizzard games) will let you play of a .dmg. It works on a case by case basis.

Name the game(s) you're trying to do this with and people on this board might be able to help guide you if they've done this with their games.

7. haiggy macrumors 65816

Sometimes you have to try different combinations to get it to work, but I have done it with all of my Blizzard games. I don't think you have to make a new disk image and then copy information, somehow I think hidden files will be missed.

8. Matt01792 thread starter macrumors member

yeah...

Thanks for the help everyone!

As for hidden files, couldn't I use tinkertool or something to unhide the files, would that work?

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, don't do that. You need to choose the session and make an image of that instead. Once you've made the image, lock it (write protect it), before mounting it.

Attached Files:

10. Matt01792 thread starter macrumors member

ah...

Thanks for the screenshot! I thought I should've been doing that but the option was greyed out - I thought it would come up with a dialog asking which device to image, I didn't realise I had to select it first. .... feels stupid now :eek: lol, thanks though!

11. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

you can also use a no cd patch. which takes up no space on your hard drive.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I usually make a disc image and select DVD/CD Image when I go to make it. Works with almost all the games I've tried.

13. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

some games are also troublesome to get a good image of, so that is a potential problem. beasically, this will work in general, but not 100% of the time

14. applekid macrumors 68020

15. Matt01792 thread starter macrumors member

so...

Just to check before I actually do this, am I within my rights to do this, as I bought the game?

16. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Does it matter? I personally don't care. As long as I own the game, I feel that I'm within my right to do this. There is the "letter of the law" and the "spirit of the law". I believe I'm following the law to the extent that it was meant.

17. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Fair Use clause would imply that you can legally do this in order to use the software in the way that you desire. However, the DMCA may or may not apply as well. As long as you own the game and follow any other usage restrictions it probably won't be a problem. However it remains to be seen whether or not a particular method is legal or not. Legal experts tend to agree that a complete unaltered disc image or software workaround that does not alter any application code may be easier to argue as being legal than a patch that alters any code. Fair Use also permits the creation of a backup and a disc image might be considered such as long as there is only one image and it is not altered in any way or shared with others. Regardless most software publishers are not pleased with the practice and will not provide tech support to anyone who admits to doing this.

18. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Its that simple?

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It is. :)

Occasionally you'll come across a game that checks to ensure that it's not running from a mounted image, but you can often get around this by mounting with Toast instead of Disk Utility.

20. applekid macrumors 68020

Think of it as a backup and think of it as legal.

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Awsome, just got this too work with Age of Mythology. Now trying to trick Halo, but it's not easy.

22. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Yeah, I have entirely forgotten how to use the Toast Disk Image option. I just tried again recently, and for some reason, I cant remember how to do it. Recently as in right now, and right now as in 2 AM (I just bought Call of Duty). Can someone help me? I mean.. its probably just because I'm tired but still...

23. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Wow reading this topic has given me ideas. Thanx you guys. I mean, its not bad, but I mean, I'd like to make DMG's of certain CD's that have critical information. I never thought of doing it like this. I mean I've done it trying to get Bochs to work on Jaggy, but it doesn't work too well.

24. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

Yeah I know that post thread exist, I have a post on the first page. :D I read every post on it already, some people think it's illegal, some think it's a grey area, some just don't care as long as they are saving disk space. Thanks for looking out, but I think we need more info before we can really say if it's a definate no-no.

25. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I use patches/cracks so that if me and my brother want to play Halo on our network, we can. Same with UT2004 b4 they released the no cd patch for it.