Do everything GOOD or 1 thing GREAT?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by 512ke, Apr 20, 2005.

1. 512ke macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2003
    I'm looking for advice. I've been on the fence for a while about a possible new purchase or upgrade. I currently own a 1.2 GHZ iBook w/ 1.2 MB RAM. I love this thing. I use it for FCP, GB and more.

But what I really wanna do is use Logic 7 Pro. I've been going to workshops at the Apple Store. That program is reeeeeal cool.

What to do?

a) Keep iBook and buy a G5 duallie (maybe in a week or so when those minor updates come out). Use the duallie just after work & on the weekends to crank on Logic at home. Or

b) Sell the iBook and buy a new PB. Run Logic but more slowly. However, I'd get to carry the PB around w/ me, for instance taking the thing to work to use for video editing, audio editing & stuff like that.

*My iBook DOES ALL THE STUFF I NEED now... but kinda slowly...

What would you do if you had saved up some cheddar for Logic? Blow it all on a new tower or invest in a PB...

I know, I know, it's a good kinda dilemma!

Thanks. 512ke.
  2. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I presently have a PowerBook, and I've considered multiple times trading it for a more powerful G5 tower, and the cheapest iBook I can find. I don't need the power on the road, but would like more at my desk.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Obvious for me - keep the iBook and buy the duallie.

You want the horsepower if you are going to get serious with Logic and FCP. Plus the tower is more expandable, should you want to go for internal DSP cards for Logic, or a second drive, more RAM, a SATA card for multiple external drives, multiple, large monitors, etc....

If your work requires video editing, your employer should provide the hardware. If you go PB you'll want the 17", so portability goes down.

Unless you are doing your own video editing while at work, in which case see the thread on skiving...
  4. 512ke thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2003
    "If your work requires video editing, your employer should provide the hardware"

I like that idea! Lemme forward that one to my boss and see what he says!

Honestly I'd love to have a duallie... I just feel kinda bad about having it parked at home and used for only a few hours a week! That seems like a waste of a great Mac!

Wish I could get a duallie on wheels... or a G5 Pbook... :)
  5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
  6. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    I run F@H when I am not using my G5 :)

Actually to keep my computer active when I am away, and need work I can use from it. I start jobs of compressing Video files that I have Ripped from DVD into smaller files that I can load onto my dell to watch when I am at work.

I am converting my DVD collection to mini files that I can watch on Quicktime in a much smaller, more compressed file format. I don't intend to "share" my compressed videos, but it is nice to have.

A G5 can do lots of things for you when you are on the road, if you have a secure VNC connection setup for you to remote into it :) .