Do Games also have the Region Restriction?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joeytpg, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Hi, i was about to purchase Unreal Tournament 2004 from Amazon.com, and for some reason it says it can't be shipped to my place here in Spain. Kind of weird because three months ago i purchased Return To Castle Wolf. and Lord Of The Rings, T.R.O.K. from Amazon.com and i received it perfectly. Anyways, i can try ordering it from amazon.co.uk BUT, i'm staying in Spain until July, and then i'm heading back to U.S. so i don't plan on buying anything that uses Region 2..............

.......i'm a little bit unsure if the Region codes only apply to DVDs or if it applys to Games too. i STILL have my DVD player set on Region 1 (America) and i want to leave it like that. So can i purchase Unrealtournament from Amazon.co.uk without worrying about Region Codes and stuff?

Thanks a lot guys....

P.S.
    i was going to buy Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri along with Unreal, because it seems like a very interesting game, but it costs U.S.$95!!! can you believe that?!?!

2. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

No, games don't have regions, even those on a data DVD. Some, however, do have 'localizations' so if you buy it in another country it might have language packs for their language. If it's an english version it should be fine though.

And no, I can't believe SMAC is selling for that much. I paid $45 shortly after it came out and got the expansion for $20. I later bought it again for a friend, found it for $9.95 and that was still several years ago. Keep looking.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I should point out that what is mentioned above only applies to PC games (by PC I mean Personal Computer, that includes Macs).

Console games do have region restrictions. Except for handheld games.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

depends on the console...as far as i know the gamecube don't has any region codes (at least a friend plays the US imported RE4 on his unmodded european one)
    but you need a 60 hz tv AFAIK for imports