Do I Buy a Mac Mini or Not

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by asimmd, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

HI Gang

I was going to order the Mac Mini today but with all the problems related to the black screens,I am wondering if I should wait.

Question is,does the black screen problem stop you from using the Mini,or does it only do it say once a day and then it's OK.

I want the Mini to run Logic Pro,so constantly going off and losing data is no good to me.

No one has said if Apple have recognised this as a fault,nor if they are working on a fix?

Alan

2. macrumors 6502a

Guess you could let a few people scare you off. However, my new mini has been great. And if there is a problem with video, Apple will fix it by an update. More a driver issue than a hardware issue. I am using the mini displayport output. No issues.

3. macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I haven't had any issues either. I am using the included HDMI to DVI adapter.

4. macrumors regular

I also have not had the black screen problem. Using an HDMI to HDMI connection to a 46" Sony LCD TV.

5. macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Got my Mini about 3 hours ago and not had a problem yet *fingers crossed* :D

Running HDMI to HDMI to a Samsung 24" LED Monitor :)

6. macrumors member

How far do you sit from the screen and have you any problems reading web text, or text in general?

7. macrumors regular

I am sitting from between 3 to 7 ft from the screen. This is a temporary setup (although I have to say, editing photos on a 46" display is AMAZING). There is no problem reading text. Sure at only 1920x1080 resolution stretched over a 46" screen, sitting at 3', the text is not what apple would call "retina", but it's perfectly legible, just a little jagged-edged. At 5-6' it looks fine. At 7-8' which is about as far as I can go in this room, the text becomes kind of on the very small side to read, ie, barely/if at all big enough and at this point I need to start making it bigger.

8. macrumors member

Ok, thanks. I was just trying to get an idea of how it would look on my 50" Pioneer KRP-500A @ roughly 8 feet viewing distance.

9. macrumors 603

philipma1957

think of it as a slow blink of the eyes. I am getting 2 to 4 a day they come last 1 or 2 or 3 seconds then right back to where I was.