Do I calibrate my MacBooks battery on arrival?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peter202, Dec 4, 2006.

1. peter202 macrumors member

peter202

Hey guys just wandering if you can help me out.

Can i use my MacBook as normal when i get it or is it best to do a battery calibration first?

Thanks

2. DSL Steve macrumors member

Use the MB for two or three weeks before calibrating.

3. Arne macrumors regular

I am waiting for my MacBook at the moment. It is said to come next week.

What exactly is battery calibration?

4. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

ya i'm wondering that myself.

5. Stadsport macrumors regular

I was under the impression that battery calibration was something of nickle metal hydride batteries, and that MacBooks use lithium polymer batteries.

But I've been wrong before.

6. paradillon macrumors member

Here is Apple's procedure-
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

They mention

7. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

My MBP manual says to calibrate the battery within the 1st week - sounds like it is not critical to do this immediately.

8. Zegna macrumors member

I'm still waiting for mine meself, but I'll definitely be calibrating the battery once I turn it on for the first time.

Just to make sure everything is fully functioning, while being on the safe side as well. :)

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

I may be really going out on a limb here, but when your Macbook arrives "RTFM" :eek:

Or you can download the manual from the Apple site and be up to speed ahead of time.

10. DSL Steve macrumors member

Your quote is very misleading. If you read the entire article, you'll find your quote applies *only* to the *first* procedure in your link. The *second* procedure in your link is the calibration procedure for the PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD).

11. Arne macrumors regular

According to my understanding of this, not calibrating your battery would not harm it. The calibration just helps you MacBook to know how long it can last without the battery. If you do not do this, you Computer might show you a time left for the battery to die, that is not 100% correct.

12. SRSound macrumors 6502

not to threadjack or anything, but i have a question pulled over from another thread...

my powerbook (12" rev D) just started having the same exact problem! My battery will also occassionally jump from around 50% directly to 0% without warning. Any resolution??

13. Arne macrumors regular

read this:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284
    (link from above)

You battery propably isn't as good as it used to be. This is normal for batteries. The electronics have to figure out that the battery isn't as good as it used to be, so calibrating the battery (you should say calibrating the electronics) should help.

14. SRSound macrumors 6502

even after calibrating it, the estimated time in the toolbar is still way off.

15. scott523 macrumors 6502a

The purpose of calibrating your battery is to allow you to use the battery to its maximum potential. When I got my C2D MB, it had a charge capacity of 5150mAh. After calibrating the battery several times (sometimes without even knowing it) and with 30 charge cycles already recorded, it currently has a charge capacity of 5533mAh. :eek: :D