Do I get the 15" now or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by senorchupacabra, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Aug 11, 2003
    Hey everybody. I'm in need of some advice regarding the purchase of a 1 Ghz, 15" Tibook/Superdrive. I can pick up a brand new 15" w/Applecare for $2500 including shipping but I'm not sure if I should wait for the new 15" model to roll out or not. I'd really like the convenience of the backlit keyboard and FW 800 that I keep hearing is right around the corner.

    What do you think?
  2. macrumors G3


    Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    I say wait. I know that people have been saying "the new ones are just around the corner!" for months and months now, but I still say wait. Don't pay $2500 for a 10 month old laptop unless you absolutely need it now.
  3. macrumors member

    Jul 24, 2002
    Yeah, wait. There are plenty of rumors that have been floating around for months now regarding PowerBook updates, but still, wait. Last time the 15" PowerBook was updated (almost ten months ago) they saw a substantial price drop with the update. The previous high-end model was effectively dropped, as far as I recall, a couple hundred to $1000 in price for the exact same machine.

    Even if people say, "Buy it when you need it, don't worry about it," I say $1000 is a substantial hunk of cash. Wait for the updates.
  4. macrumors 6502

    Apr 29, 2003

    I'd wait if it were my money. Just be aware you will be waiting a long time (including shipping for pre-orders which can take a long time:( ). It still is a bad time to be buying an Apple portable because even if new PBG4's were announced today, the PBG5 rumors would start rapidly, which would be an even bigger leap in performance then going from a 1GHz G4 to 1.3GHz G4. I personally would wait for a Rev. B PBG5 if that is humanly possible.

  5. macrumors regular

    Jan 21, 2002
  6. macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location

Share This Page