Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zmcmahan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
Hi there. I have a new 40 GB Apple TV. Love the thing, however, when I put it in standby, and it sits for a day or so, when I turn it back on by hitting any button, the video output does not display. I can hear the small sounds it makes when you change menu items, but I do not get any display, so I know the HDMI is carrying the audio. If I unplug the unit, then the Apple TV reboots and the video output works fine. I am running version 2.4 of the software.

Should I return the unit to get a new one? I am running HDMI from the Apple TV to my Yamaha receiver, then HDMI out to my TV.

It should be noted, that the only time I have noticed this is after it sits for a day or so...I cannot reproduce the problem after sitting for a short while and then resuming from standby. In these scenarios, it works fine.

Thanks in advance.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Sounds to me like an HDMI issue. You might want to try turning on your devices in a different order. HDMI isn't just audio and video, it's a computer handshake. The various devices connected communicate with each other to try to determine the various capabilities. So, you've got the AppleTV "talking" with the receiver and the receiver "talking" with the TV. If something gets out of whack/sync, you're likely to get stuck without a picture.

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
If your ATV goes through a receiver before heading to your TV, it makes perfect sense why this happens. You can fix it by simply unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in. As mchalebk mentioned, this happens when your ATV and TV get out of sync, breaking the HDCP.
You will need something like this or another device that remembers the EDID of your display in order to resolve the problem.

jjxc90

Suspended
Jun 1, 2009
HDMI can be a real pain. I tries to think too much, and the end result can be frustrating.

Component is a bit more simple and straightforward, but most sets will not support 1080p over component.

And yes, I experience the same issue with multiple devices. It's usually best to have the TV on before powering on/waking the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.