Do I have a digital audio output?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mfacey, Feb 12, 2006.

1. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Simple question:

I have a Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz (not the HD one, the one before). I was wondering whether it has a digital audio output? I'm pretty sure it has digital input (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anybody know?:confused:

2. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

3. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Right, but this is the HD version of my powerbook. iow a more recent one. Does anybody know if the powerbook preceding the HD version also has optical digital audio out?

Thanks!

4. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

I don't think it does.

I have the Powerbook 15" 1.5, it the same as the 1.67, i purchased this model just as the 1.67 was introduced, and the only differences was, the slight increase in processor speed and that the 512mb ram was one dimm instead of 2.

5. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

Ok, that's what I thought. The instruction manual didn't make any mention of it either, so I figured it was unlikely! :(

6. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

Ironically, I was just on my girlfriends 1.67 17" non HD, and it has digital-optical in listed; it may have digital out as well, have you checked system preferences? You probably need that special Apple/Monster cable that provides line in/toslink compatibility.

7. mfacey thread starter macrumors 65816

mfacey

What do you mean by "listed"?

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep a simple optical cable with a 3mm toslink adapter is required. I got a 3 metre cable off Amazon for around $30 including shipping...

9. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

If you go to system preferences/sound under output, it should show the devices you have available for audio output. If it says digital out, then you have it, if not, then you dont.