Do I have a right to be mad? Or am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Jfperkins, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Jfperkins
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I've bought Apple computers accessories devices music etc etc since 2000. 5 computers thousands of dollars in music and movies. Going through some old iTunes music the other day I find that 55 songs purchased through the store wont play because I need to enter my old AOL account password (remember when you could do that?) so for the life of me I can't remember the password. AOL has closed my six year old email account due to inactivity so I can't get the password that way. I call Apple and they are very nice of course but say even though they have a record of me buying the songs they cannot authorize them to play unless I can give them the password. So I ask if given the situation I can have a credit for the exact same songs that I purchased. No go. Nothing can be done!

So I feel pissed. I'm a loyal customer and we're talking about 55 credits here. But Apple will do nothing? And yes I should've remembered my password or written it down but this is years and years ago.

But before I write a disgruntled letter to Apple I wanted to get someone else's take. Am I being unreasonable asking for a credit like this? Has this happened to you?

2. AngryGerbil
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

AngryGerbil

I work in iOS tech support and we never, ever, ever ask for or require apple id passwords. I don't know who you talked with but 99 times out of 100 the iTunes support people will transfer old apple id purchases to a new apple id account provided you can prove your identity. You can also submit a ticket via expresslane.apple.com.

3. Jfperkins
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...I haven't tried the express lane. Thanks, I'll give it a try. I appreciate your help.

4. zObsidian
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

I don't think you have any right to be mad at Apple. They aren't responsible for your passwords through AOL or for AOL closing your account due to inactivity. I hope that Apple can find some sort of solution for you, but ultimately this sounds like your fault for not keeping track of your own accounts.

5. malman89
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Sounds like a great reason to download ("pirate") versions of the songs you already own, but no longer have access to due to DRM.

6. Tsuchiya
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Contact them again, I had a similar issue and it was resolved fairly easily.