do i have a virus?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by obeygiant, Aug 1, 2002.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

hey everyone I could use some help.

I use outlook express for my email and some strange things have been occuring. I'm receiving messages from people I don't know with subjects like
    'Scrollbars' and 'of service'. I dont konw what this crap means. Some times there are messages that say 'you have a powerful tool, don't forget to use it' and 'your message contains nothing you PJ freak' The emails usually have two attachments, one is normally a .exe file and the other says 'bride_home[1].html' or 'valentine_s_day[1].html' What the heck is this?
    a lot of my friends are starting to have the same problems and say I'm sending email to them when i never did.

Could someone please shed some light on this and tell me what I should do?

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

winblowz virus which takes your email address and and all your contacts and then sends them messages under your address so that instead of people not opening things from people they don't know...they figure they know you and then open it...usually runs off of a server from someone else (ie:not your computer, especially since this is a windows native type virus)...get a new email address is all you can do

3. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

4. OKComputer macrumors 6502

a.) dont use outlook...you havent learned from the 98 viruses in the past?

b.) there is a reason a .mac email costs money....its confidential failing that try yahoo mail.

c.) get a mac you limey freak

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Fantastic but I get this crap too. And I also get mail that says "Mail Underliverable", like I sent someone an email when I didn't. It's annoying as hell! :mad:

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

who are you saying doesn't have a mac?

try www.inbox.net

they have GREAT spam-killing software...i haven't gotten a single spam message since i started using it...and that's been about a year...

oh and don't give out your email to anything except people you know who and make sure the people you know don't send you e-cards and other crap like that

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

you need to be more specific. what platform are you using, what OS, is it native or online webmail?? etc. only then can people not be speculating when they try to help you.

8. ackpth macrumors newbie

well, my friend had this problem for awhile. turned out to be a virus, i can't remember which but i'd look into it...

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've got that now. my theory: friends who use PCs and have me in their address books have the virus. emails are sent out from their account w/ my return address, so i get the bounced messages.

of course, i haven't proved that i don't have the virus. fwiw, i'm running netscape communicator 4.7 on mac os 9.2.1.

techtool pro 3 reports no viruses.

once i get my ibook i'll be running osx and using the built-in mail app.

10. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, it is times like this that I wish that I was a mod. To answer you question, no I dont' think you have a virus. You may have something going on. PM Alpha, and he can give you ideas. He really knows his stuff.

For future reference, something like this should go under the general Mac discussion. :D

No foul, just wanted to let you know.

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

actually it should go under the Mac Help forum. ;)

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Oh, snap! Man, you are right. See, that is why I am not a mod!

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

14. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

just trust me...this is a PC borne virus...it is not in your computer...could be running off your mail server (assuming you aren't .mac) or else it's running off of some jerks server who thought it would be fun to put a virus into it so that it seeks out email messages and address books from computers and then sends emails under your address...it's that simple...you do NOT have a virus

15. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

oops..my bad

your right, this is posted under the wrong heading. Sorry about that.

But thanks to everybody for shedding light on the subject.

I guess I'll either get a .mac email or change my email address by on letter.
    I actually think it was coming from my hotmail account I had outlook express checking.. I have changed that now.

thanks

16. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

system specs

I'm Running 9.2.2 with IE 5.0 and Outlook express 5.01. on a bronze laptop.

I have outlook check my pop3 email and my hotmail account.
    But recently I've stopped it from checking the hotmail.

most of the subjects of the strange emails are "scrollbars" and "of service"

Sometimes I get one or two a day, but them sometimes I dont get one for a week.

Again, sorry this is under the rumor discussion, i wish i could transfer it.

regards..

17. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Well, what kind of symptoms do you have? Do you feel groggy? Do you sneeze a lot? How's your throat? Are you breathing okay? Do you feel like your gonna puke? Have you been eating your veggies? Are you eating anything now? Do you drink plenty of fluids? Do you wish you were dead?

"do i have a virus?"

Sounds like you might need Dr. Mom. :D

:p

18. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Re: system specs

You do not have a virus. If you had, you would have gotten 'bout 50-100 messages a day. Blame your PC owning friends :p

BTW, I have not heard about a new Mac virus in ages... The Mac is as virus free as an OS can get....

19. zed macrumors 6502

yahoo just launched a new email service... it's much nicer than the old one,

you might want to check it out :)

20. merman637 macrumors member

random emails

i also am getting random email(and im not using micoshaft either[who would think of that??!!]i use netscape 6.2...) it happens to my email address provided by my isp....the subject is usually "to class" and inside the message it says "this is my first game" "id hope you enjoy it"...wtfreak!? usually sent from people in my work email list...but i also have had people say that they get them FROM me also....stupid viruses!!!! i also check my system with norton anti-virus...
    BTW....NAV updated my mac virus list on the 1st...seems there are around 7-8 (can't remember) MAC BASED VIRUSES this past month alone....mac's are not immune!!!...if you think they are your an idiot....it's just that there are alot more pc users out there and thus more pc viruses....does that make sense?

ok back to the topic!!!

i usually get these "emails" about 5-10 times during the workweek....almost never from the same person....

if it is a virus i wish NAV could stop that stupid thing....
    peas