Do I have to buy addtl software to burn a copy of a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mbush, Sep 17, 2005.

1. mbush macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Cool website. I am pretty new to MAC's and purchased an IBOOK with a Superdrive so I can burn DVD's and edit videos. I've kind of figured out how to edit......but burning DVD's has me completely confused. I've read the manual, searched the internet, played around for hours.....I just can not figure out how to burn DVD's.

While searching this site, I've read a lot of posts about 'compressing dvd's'. Do I have to buy an additional program in order to burn a dvd? Can you compress a movie without an additional program? I tried copying the DVD into a burn folder, but that doesn't seem to work and seemed a little too easy.

What's a girl to do?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Your iBook should have come with a copy of iDVD (part of iLife), I think... you can use this to make your own DVDs.

However, I can't say whether it will allow you to make copies of existing movie DVDs. For that, you are probably going to need third-party software.

(And of course, don't forget that you shouldn't make copies of movies on DVD, except for your own backup purposes.)