Do I have to get healthcare?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Squilly, Oct 2, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm 19 but talking hypothetically. Three main questions:
    If I wasn't under my parents policy and their employer didn't cover it, do I absolutely have to get it? Just read an article that said you don't have to but you'll incur an extra $95 tax on your taxes.
    The next: if the employer covers healthcare, do I have anything to worry about? As in, having to buy into the affordable healthcare?
    Lastly, will my taxes go up?

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68040

Yes, you MUST get health care or Obama will send drones after you!! And your taxes pay for drones. :D

3. macrumors demi-god

Hugh

You have till 27 to find your self insurance. You do not have to get coverage, you can just pay the $95(this goes up every year) tax on your tax form.

Now you are 19 by the time you get to 28, there might have another plan that is different or improved system. So I say play the waiting game.

Hugh

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

You jest but people in my office believe this! Of course they're Fox News watchers and I live in Pennsylvania so that should be no surprise.

5. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I might be wrong, but I think if your employer pays for healthcare, some of that comes out of your paycheck too. You wouldn't have to bother with any of the government plans.

6. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

You would be covered under your parents plan until age 26.

If you find a job after college, you can either use the health exchanges or your employers health care plan.

If you decline all healthcare, you will be assessed a tax when you file.

7. macrumors 603

Michael Goff

If your work covers insurance, this won't affect you.

8. macrumors 603

mrkramer

You can look at this to help. Basically if you are not covered on your parent's insurance and you make enough money to have to file a tax return ($10,000) then you have to be insured or pay a penalty.

As you mentioned that penalty is $95 this year or 1% of your income whichever is greater, and that goes up through 2016 to $695 or 2.5% of your income.

For your next question it doesn't matter where you get the insurance from, if your employer covers it then the law won't effect you. The point of the exchanges are to bring down prices for people who don't get coverage from their employers so that they can afford to buy insurance privately.

And for your last question no your taxes will not go up as a result of the ACA, not sure if there are any other laws that will effect that this year, but the ACA won't increase your taxes. Unless you decide not to get insurance and want to consider the penalty as a tax.

9. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

You can stay on your parents plan until age 26, unless your employer offers you insurance. If your employer offers you insurance, no matter how bad it is, you have to take it, you can no longer be on your parents plan. (Or I am assuming now buy a plan off of the exchanges).

10. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

That would surprise me... being forced to accept employers insurance over family insurance where benefits may be better.

11. macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you have a source for that? I'm not saying it isn't true, just that I haven't heard that before.

12. macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I would stay under parents healthcare plan if they have one until 26, they will pay a group rate anyway if there are others in the plan as well.. ( I believe)

I do have a question that someone might be able to answer, my mother gets healthcare through her employer she pays about $700 a month or so which is a big chunk out of her pay check every month, what will ACA offer her if anything? can her premium be lowered with the same plan or will she have to drop that ins and sign up via exchanges

13. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Well the Supreme Court ruled that it was a tax. So yes, his taxes will go up if he doesn't get healthcare insurance.

14. macrumors 603

mrkramer

There is a possibility that that price could drop, the only person that can answer that is your mother's employer though. If it doesn't then the other option would be to not pay for the healthcare through the employer and see if you can find a cheaper option on the exchange.

15. macrumors 603

The best thing to do is go to https://healthcare.gov/ and start reading the questions and answers.

Use the Search box to find articles.

For example, I typed the search term parent. It expanded that to parents health insurance, which accepted and told it to search. Three of the top results are:
    https://www.healthcare.gov/can-i-keep-my-child-on-my-insurance-until-age-26/
    https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/2014-in-214-words/
    https://www.healthcare.gov/blog/3-ways-to-get-covered-if-you-re-under-30/

I'm not going to pull quotes or summarize. Go read the articles; they're brief enough.

Then do your own searches, and read more. The website is easy to find info in. It's worth learning how to do that. The digital life-skills will be reusable.

One last thing: when reading comments, note when they were posted. A comment may say that something is missing, because it was posted months ago. That thing may be present now.

16. macrumors 6502a

shinji

She may qualify for a subsidy, where it would be cheaper to go through the exchange?

17. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You just go to the government health org and apply for a card. Oh wait you live in the US where the democrats force you to pay private corporations making billions in profits for health insurance or pay additional taxes.

My bad.

18. macrumors 68000

If her contribution to her employer's health care is over 9.5% of her income, she could be eligible for one. If not, she could buy health care through the exchange that could potentially be cheaper, but it will not be subsidized.

It's worth anyone in a similar situation to take a look at the website (if it ever works) to compare their options.

19. macrumors 68030

Who would have ever thought this would happen?

20. macrumors 603

Technarchy

Interesting way to put it...:)

Anyone have a retort?

21. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Stop supporting politicians who are afraid of "socialized medicine".

Maybe then we'll get the real thing.

22. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Obamacare is socialized medicine in the same way that bank bailouts were socialized. Here is the dream if you are a corporation: "socialize your losses and hoard your profits". The banks did it and now the health insurance industry is going to as well.

Its taking an industry that has ****ed the American citizen for decades and saying "Hey, you've ****ed us over for decades, we are going to force everyone to sign up with you so that you behave better. Oh and those people who can't afford to pay you, we will cover it" :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 65816

Well, if anyone in this country could actually pull their head out of their ass and learn what universal healthcare actually meant instead of listening to right-wing hysteria on the radio and TV, maybe we could have what you have in that country you left the US for. But until that day comes, we're stuck with this..which actually appears to be doing some good.

24. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

You almost make them sound like criminals.

How radical of you.

There is a place for private insurance, even in countries that provide government managed healthcare.

25. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

What is the correct term for a faceless bureaucracy that determines that a disease discovered middle age or later, because there is a congenital component or factor, is a "pre-existing condition" and therefore not covered?

"Criminals" doesn't seem to fit exactly, but, I can't think what the right term is.

Agreed. Australia is a good example of this. Universal health care, but, with private options for people who desire it.