Do I HAVE to get speakers for mac mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by brenton, Apr 2, 2005.

1. brenton macrumors member

Hello. Do I have to get speakers for my mac mini or can I just use the speakers included with it built in the mini. it will be right next to me on my desk. And If I do listen to music I will just use Headphones. Is the sound on the mini poor quality or is it just not loud enough. Thanks

2. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

The Mini doesn't have built-in speakers. If you want to hear sounds or music you would need either speakers or headphones, but I don't guess you would have to have those if you didn't need audio capability.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

The sound is produced by a very small speaker within the mini's chassis. It's not very loud, but I can say that even in a busy, and pretty loud Apple Store, I could still hear it over the din.

It should be plenty loud for anything but music or vide games, and for those, headphones should work great. If you find they aren't loud enough, I'm sure you can find a $10 set of multimedia speakers at your local Wal-Mart.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

According to Apple's website:

Attached Files:

5. brenton thread starter macrumors member

It really doesnt matter to me if its loud just as long as the sound isnt crap

6. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I use a Mac mini without external speakers. The built in speaker is sufficient for simple uses, but don't expect to fill the room with deep bass rythms.

I don't think it sounds crap, but it is what it is: Mono sound from a small speaker.

7. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

In other words, it has no bass, distorts, and sounds like crap.

I just got a Mini for my mom and a couple days later my wife got one. Neither of them are big audiophiles but they're both using external speakers. It's just not very loud.

9. brandon6684 Guest

If you need it just to hear the alert sounds when you have a new insant message of something, it should be okay, but for much more you probably want a cheap set of external speakers.

10. 36183 Guest

you forgot the mac start up chime :O that is the most important use for the internal speaker.

11. mleok macrumors member

Speaking of the startup chime, it is really quite loud, is there any way to turn down the internal speaker, since the loud chime seems to be coming from the internal speaker, even through I have the mini hooked up to external speakers.

12. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Actually I watch TV (EyeTV) on my Mac mini with just the internal speaker, and I don't have any big complaints.

13. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I have a Mac mini and here are my thoughts about the internal speaker.

1. It is crap.

2. If you only need it the start-up chime, system beeps, IM notifications it will work fine.

3. If you plan to listen to any music or play games you will want headphones or a pair of speakers.

4. The Mac mini's internal speaker and the word "audiophile" should not be used in the same sentence. Even if you are not associating the two... they just should not be that close together under any circumstances.

If there is a way to reduce to the volume of that internal speaker I would like to know how, as the startup chime is rather loud.

edit: Thanks debroglie

14. drsuse macrumors member

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/StartupSound/index.en.html

^^ grab this.

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Press and hold F3 on startup. On the PowerBooks in coincides with the MUTE volume button. Rather handy.

16. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

"should be" or "should not be"
    ;)

17. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

A little out of place...but PLEASE, NOT WALMART!!! Just one day of boycotting will help, NOT walmart! Here are some other stores that dont hire illegal workers:

www.bestbuy.com
    www.compusa.com
    www.circuitcity.com
    www.ecost.com
    www.tigerdirect.com
    www.buy.com

I am sure you can find some low cost alteratives there too.

or...of course, if there are any left, from the disaster walmart created to this country, you can go to a local Mom and Pop store

18. Tuned MP5T macrumors regular

Recommendations for the speaker - JBL Creatures