Do I have to purchase Pages for the Ipad too?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by CyrusOz, Dec 24, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

I just purchased and Ipad yesterday and I was trying to edit a word document from my Imac and I couldn't find the pages app on the Ipad, then it dawned on me that perhaps I have to purchase Pages again just for the Ipad? Is that correct?

Do I need to purchase the whole i-life bundle etc to get all of the main applications that I use on the Imac? I recall ask the sales-person if i needed to purchase any additional software to bring it up to speed with my Imac and she said 'no' perhaps i she didn't understand the question or i didn't understand her answer.

Can anybody please shed some light on this for me, is there any other app that is free that works just as well as pages or do I just buy the pages app and get it over with?

Thanks

2. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you will need to purchase the Pages, Numbers and Keynote Apps separately for the iPad

3. macrumors regular

Yes, Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are all separate apps that you must purchase separately. Having these applications on your Mac doesn't transfer over to your iPad.

I've only purchased Pages, and it works. It's not as full-featured as the OSX version (actually it's pretty limited), but it works well for editing and making simple documents.

4. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

With the Mac App Store, Apple says that "You can install Mac apps on every Mac you use and even download them again." That seems to indicate a change in their licensing methods. Which means there's a chance, albeit slim, that Apple will combine the licensing of their apps across platforms sometime in the future. But for now, Pages for Mac and Pages for iPad are distinct products.

5. macrumors member

An iPad is not a Mac.

6. macrumors regular

I'm sort of on the flip side of this -- I never used Pages on the Mac but I've gotten to like the minimalist version on the iPad. Now I'm waiting for the Mac App Store to open, because the early word is that the iWork apps will be available separately for $20 apiece. Pages is the only one I want.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

I just went to purchase the pages app and saw that there are 2 different pages apps. There is Pages and Pages+. The Pages+ appears to be geared more towards image rich documents but it's cheaper than the other standard pages, which has me asking... what is the difference between the two?

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 68040

If you check the details, I really doubt that "Pages+" is made by Apple. ;)

9. macrumors G3

Night Spring

They are just unrelated apps with similar names. If you look at the details for Pages+, it's made by some no-name developer.

10. macrumors 68040

Since when did Pages become $12.99? Yes, like said Pages+ is not by Apple. The Pages everyone is talking about is made by Apple.

11. macrumors 68000

This might surprise you, but not everyone lives in the US.

12. macrumors 6502a

I just checked Pages in the App store and it's $9.99 right now.

13. macrumors 604

Piggie

It does make you wonder how Apple would pass a similar app with virtually the same name as they use.

14. macrumors G3

THis might surprise you, but putting a $ in front of the price indicates its the US.

15. macrumors newbie

Shoechick

That means dollar....not US dollar.....Canadian, Australia all use dollars.

16. macrumors 68040

petvas

You might also want to consider some other alternatives to Pages, like Quickoffice Deluxe, or Documents to Go.

17. macrumors G3

I find that to be quite surprising.

18. macrumors 68020

Limited in what way? I find I can pretty much do everything I normally would, and I write a lot of papers. The only thing that is really missing is the ability to view and make comments, or to track changes.

One way to add a bunch of features is to edit/save your styles in pages on the mac and in the file before copying it over to ipages (you can make a blank document with all those edits and use it as your template in ipages; make sure to include a footnote that you can later copy in the ipages program and just keep on pasting it to insert new footnotes).

19. macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Aussie dollars?

20. macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I find it pretty disappointing:
    - Table support VERY bare (doesn't even support merged cells)
    - Styling options limited, cumbersome to get to (even simple things like changing font)
    - No equation support

Almost every time I open a pages 09 document, I get a long list of compatibility errors and my document ends up being very awkwardly edited. Sometimes it borks things so I can't edit a particular paragraph or whatever, and have to retype the whole thing and try to match the style.

It's better than any other office suite on any mobile platform, but that doesn't mean it's good. It's almost like a Microsoft product.

21. macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Or.. Kiwi dollars ~ Apple's Pages app for iPad $13.99.. :D

Well worth the price as long as you read the User Guide.

22. macrumors 68020

Point taken.

Please explain

I don't understand this. In the desktop client you click on a button in the toolbar then select your style with your mouse. Same with the ipad version of pages except you use your finger, so it's actually faster. If you want to quickly change font, just make a style that includes the font change and it'll be a quick thing to switch. Honestly how often do you need to switch up fonts? Just find the 2-3 you like and create some files with the styles edited with those respective fonts.

Like with your point about merging, this would be nice to have added in. Hopefully these things will be extended as time moves on.

Can you give examples of those compatibility errors? I'm curious.

Well that might be. I tend to like it but I guess your points are reasonable. Keep in mind though this is the first version of the program (excluding the one update that incorporated partial footnote support). So, they are working on it and it does seem to be getting better. Hopefully they intend to at least slowly roll out the full features in the mobile edition.

23. macrumors 65816

frunkis54

just so you know $ does mean US dollar

Canada uses C$
    australla uses A$

:D

24. macrumors newbie

Shoechick

No we don't We use $

25. macrumors member

on ebay maybe.
    We use (in Canada) simple old dollar signs. Like this: $