Do I have to Register Windows in VPC 6?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boberto4, May 25, 2004.

1. boberto4 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm just trying to save a bit o cash. I'm sure you can understan that. I need to have a copy of Virtual PC 6 and I really don't want to buy the version that's twice as much because it has a copy of XP in it. I know you can buy a stand-alone version for around $100 if you already have an OS like XP. So I was just wondering if anybody knew if it asks for an XP key and if it validates that key online or something.

Thanks,

Robert

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I don't know for sure, but i'd guess that it does. You are running a FULL version of windows when you use vpc. It probably needs the key, then once installation is finished you'll need to activate it.

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

installing an OS in virtual PC is no different than installing an OS on a real PC, so yesm you need to register. My suggestion is to get a copy of Windows 2000 as that will run a lot better than XP in VPC

4. boberto4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Really?

I thought 2000 and XP were one in the same?

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

well kind of, but XP is 2000 + a ****load of bloat so it makes sense to run 2000 on VPC where resources are limited.

Believe me, I've done it and 2000 runs a lot faster smoother better than XP.

Supposedly this is true for PC's in general but I don't own/use one so I couldn't comment.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

2000 has less eye-candy bloat than xp. and if you are running vpc you want it to be efficient, so no need for extra effects or blue/red/green start bars.

mm start bars.

now i want candy.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You can turn off all the eye candy in XP to lessen the bloat. I would also look into TweakUI, a great little utility to help even more.

As for registering, unfortunately you have to. But I do think you get 30 days to decide to register.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Register, no. Activate, yes. You'll need a CD key, Win 98 disk (if it's an upgrade version) and anything else you need in a normal XP installation.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Activation is not a passive process. XP phones home when you install it. If you try to activate a previously activated serial number, you will not be allowed to do so. If you disable the installation's ability to phone home, then you will have to acquire an activation key and type it in.

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

No, you have to do both. You enter the CD key during the installation and after installation it phones home. That "phoning home" is the activation. If you don't let it call in it will only work for a limited time (30 days?). You can also call Microsoft if you don't want the computer doing it automatically. If you've already activated that XP install, you have to call Microsoft.

11. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

As it's been posted before, forget XP. If you have a 98 or 2000 disk laying around, use that. Or buy a chep OEM one from some discount computer place. (Run 98 to save money if you have to.) As long as you can run the application you need, thats all the OS you need. The older it is the faster it will be as Windows tends to use alot more resources as it gets newer and "better".

So:

1. Get the cheapest OS that will run your App 2. Install 3. Enter the code 4. Get your updates 5. Use only when nessesary.

12. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Damn, for $250 I can buy a complete PC (sans monitor) w/ Windows installed and loads a lot faster than VPC on a Mac.

13. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Exactly and if you have the room for another computer, do this!

14. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Yeah, but the point of VPC is to not have a Windows machine, but instead to run the one or two titles you NEED to run in windows on your mac.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

i just recently installed XP, weird thing is that I used a previously activated key with it, and I thought I might have some trouble activating it seeing as though I activated it before, but the computer it's on doesnt work anymore and hasnt worked for almost 2 years.
    Well what a surprise it was when it worked ;)

Its a 30 day "trial period" of sorts, and I guess there's a timed expiration kind of thing going on, since it calls home everytime you run Windows Update.

2000 is the best OS imho to run, but instead of installing Windows why dont you try linux? You could get the Knoppix LiveCD and boot from that :p if you want to try it out.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you are describing is the standard behavior of Microsoft's activation scheme. It is true that you may not have to activate immediately, but you will definitely have to activate within a relatively short period of time. My advice to you is that you had better not wait until your trial period expires.