Do I have to use a Apple Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nwindservices, Nov 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2012
    Hi! I just bought a Macbook Pro. My first one. It's a Mid 2010 17". I want to get a separate display, like the Apple 27" Cinema display. My question is, do you have to use the Apple displays? I've "heard" different monitors sometimes act "goofy" when used with a Mac. I don't know, that's why I'm looking for help. The price is pretty insane on Apples displays, so if possible I will look at something else. Thanks in advance.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

Jun 26, 2012
    No you don't need to get the $1000 Apple monitor. If you get one of these, you can use just about any monitor that accepts HDMI/DVI (which most do).

If you have a retina display MacBook, you won't need the adapter.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2012
    Thanks! Any recommendations on brand of monitor to go with? I'd like to at least get a 27".
  4. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
  5. macrumors 65816

Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    I use a Dell monitor with my MBPs and it works fine. It probably won't win any awards for gamut or accuracy but it is a workhorse with tons of connections and various adjustments. The Apple displays are an extension of the design ideals of your MBP -- high functionality, beautiful fit/finish, minimal cabling, built in speakers but all that doesn't come cheap.