Do I have to use a Apple Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nwindservices, Nov 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi! I just bought a Macbook Pro. My first one. It's a Mid 2010 17". I want to get a separate display, like the Apple 27" Cinema display. My question is, do you have to use the Apple displays? I've "heard" different monitors sometimes act "goofy" when used with a Mac. I don't know, that's why I'm looking for help. The price is pretty insane on Apples displays, so if possible I will look at something else. Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

No you don't need to get the $1000 Apple monitor. If you get one of these, you can use just about any monitor that accepts HDMI/DVI (which most do).

If you have a retina display MacBook, you won't need the adapter.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Any recommendations on brand of monitor to go with? I'd like to at least get a 27".

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

5. macrumors 65816

designs216

I use a Dell monitor with my MBPs and it works fine. It probably won't win any awards for gamut or accuracy but it is a workhorse with tons of connections and various adjustments. The Apple displays are an extension of the design ideals of your MBP -- high functionality, beautiful fit/finish, minimal cabling, built in speakers but all that doesn't come cheap.