Do I lose eBay unlock if I update to 6.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by gpezzino, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors member

I got my iPhone 5 unlocked through eBay. If I update to 6.1, would it revert to locked? Can anyone with an eBay unlock confirm that the unlock remains valid AFTER the update? Thanks!

2. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Yes, unlocked iPhones stay unlocked after the update.

3. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

It will stay unlocked no mattery how many times you restore or update your firmware.

4. macrumors 68020

macingman

ebay Unlocks i.e. IMEI locks are like official unlocks in Apple's server so it stays unlocked no matter what.

It could possibly be relocked if Apple decided to relock them however that hasn't happened. I can tell you though it would CERTAINLY be IMPOSSIBLE for Apple to relock it via an update if it was the IMEI unlock.

5. macrumors newbie

yeah,i think so,It will stay unlocked no mattery how many times you restore or update your firmware. [​IMG]

6. thread starter macrumors member

I know that it used to be like that, but I read in a separate forum post that these phones are now somehow "flagged" in the system as unauthorized unlocks and that if replaced at the Apple store are replaced with locked phones.

----------

Thank you all for your replies. Can anyone actually confirm with first hand experience that they updated to 6.1 an eBay unlocked phone and it remained unlocked?

7. macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

What aren't you understanding? Once unlocked, it's unlocked for ever. Unlocks from eBay, a 3rd party reseller, or AT&T, it's unlocked for ever.

8. thread starter macrumors member

I am understanding - are you? There are suggestions that things may have changed:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16382821#post16382821

So I was just checking to see if anyone has direct experience with this. No need to be rude....

9. macrumors 6502

Greg.

10. macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

11. thread starter macrumors member

Thank you

I appreciate all your feedback - I will update with less fear! :):)

12. macrumors member

That's not a suggestion that things have changed - in the post you linked to Apple swapped out his phone for another one. New phone = new IMEI = locked. He didn't do an update and suddenly his phone was relocked again, which is what you were asking about. These are two completely different scenarios so all the advice about not having to worry about running updates is correct.

If you get a completely different phone, like in the post your linked to, how on earth do you expect the unlock to "transfer" over?!