do i need 128 MB VRAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by citizenchunk, Apr 22, 2004.

1. citizenchunk macrumors newbie

i ordered a 15" 1.5 G4 w/ 64MB VRAM on monday. it still hasn't shipped. i noticed today that the upgrade to 128 MB is only $50. i'd thought it would be a lot more. but if i had known that... it just makes me wonder: do i really need 128MB?

i don't play any games. i don't do video editing (although i might once i get it). and i don't do any CAD/3D animation stuff. pretty much just music/audio, and of course the internet stuff. AFAIK, even 64MB is overkill for my needs.

anyway, with the order still open, it isn't too late. but is it really worth it, given my needs?

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

If you don't game, and don't use insanely high resolutions on external displays, there is really no advantage to having the extra 64mb of VRAM.

3. citizenchunk thread starter macrumors newbie

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

If you can still make the change, do it. For sure. If you plan on keeping your PowerBook for awhile, you'll want the extra power. For $50, you can't go wrong.

lasuther

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Personally I would spend the $50 and upgrade to 128, it is way worth the money for the performance increase in any graphic intensive program, not just games. Apples new Motion program is pretty graphic intensive, the guy demoing it at the apple booth at NAB told me so at least. So, if you plan on using it for that, or Maya or other graphic intensive apps, 128 is the way to go, especially when it's only 50 bucks more.

6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

the difference in price is so little, and you get so much more, i don't see how you could go wrong. if your needs change in the future, you will be glad you have more wiggle room... especially with all the eye candy we're sure to get in 10.4. besides, isn't it nicer to be overprepared than underprepared? especially for $50.

also, there's a lot of bragging rights with such a powerful chip in a laptop. :D

7. citizenchunk thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm....

well, thanks to the recent flurry of replies, i just called to see if i could change the order. unfortunately, it is now too late to make changes. :(

however, i was told that it was going to be shipped today! that's good news!

seriously though, i appreciate the advice, and i appreciate the idea that it would be wise to pay more now and be future-minded. but i just don't see how i could possibly do anything that requires that much video RAM. hell, i've been living just fine with 32MB of ATI Rage Mobility 7500 so far.

well, it's too late anyway. perhaps this will be something that i will be kicking myself over years from now. ;) naaahhh! i'm gettin' a new powerbook! "i'm rich, beeatch!"

8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

meh. you'll be fine. we just thought that it's always nice to have more. especially if it's cheap. enjoy your new toy when it arrives!!

9. citizenchunk thread starter macrumors newbie

you know what, i'm gonna take that $50 that i would have spent on VRAM and go buy my girlfriend something nice....

or maybe i'll just go out and get plastered! B)

10. ToddW macrumors 6502a

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better