Do I need a firewall/antivirus?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Jul 31, 2006.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok I've decided putting windows on my mac mini will be too much trouble just for ONE net based game when I can slide over to the other side of my desk and use my PC laptop. Anyway my question is does my new mac mini need a virus protector and firewall? I know PCs are very vulnerable and Macs arent but is there any chance something could happen? Do you need spyware scanners or anything? Probably sounds noobish I just want to be safe.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, you most certainly do need a firewall/virus protection.

Use the built in Windows firewall (does the job), and use something called AVG antivirus Free Edition. It's what I used to use.

3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Virus protection/spyware protection- not really unless you want to waste memory/processing power, or if it makes you feel safe.
    Firewall- yes, but OS X comes with a firewall, so you are set for that.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I really wouldn't install Antivirus software on a Macintosh until, you know, an actual virus comes out.

Firewall is built into OS X, and is easily switched on through system preferences.

5. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I don't think I use a firewall or antivirus on my PowerBook. If there ever are any serious security threats out there, I'll consider turning on the firewall. For now, I'm just careful about what I download and I backup regularly.

6. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

My brother installed Norton something on his iBook. Didn't help anything, just made him a boot time of 97 seconds. After removing, boot time is down to 42 seconds again.:D

Don't do it, just wasting RAM and HDD space, there are no viruses for Mac. Face it! Zero! 0!:eek: ;)

7. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok guys if your sure LOL I always have a tendancy to get myself into trouble without knowing it but maybe its because im on a PC :p

8. VE3NEF macrumors member

I have Sophos Anti-Virus for my mac... It was free from university so I thought what the heck? I'll try it.

Lo and behold, I DID have a virus.
    (ironically, i couldn't see what it was because the program is a peice of ****.)

Its up to you man!

V

9. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Really?? That's interesting, to say the least. Are you sure it was an honest-to-goodness virus, and not just a messed up file? Any idea what it was doing to your computer?

EDIT: Forgot to ask you what sort of system you're running...if you're still using Mac OS 9, then it's much more pausible.

10. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hmmm now im not sure....is there avg for mac?

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The Antivirus software for Macs will find PC viruses embedded in files - not that they have any effect on you - for example from files people have sent you, or have downloaded, to alert you not to send them to people using PCs.

Currently as it stands, there are still no Mac OS X viruses in circulation (going on 6 years now).

12. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You are advised to have a virus scanner for Macs and also be familiar with the software Firewall operation.

If you're running Windows on your Mac (why? especially on a not-really-successfully-gameable Mac?) though, it is mandatory to have an antivirus and software firewall as the Windows built-in FW is very easily bypassed. Ewido's pretty good for clearing stuff out that you might think you have. Paying for a copy gets you online protection, and I think it's worth it. Ewido's recently been taken over by Grisoft, the makers of AVG so I'm not sure how that'll pan out in the near future. AVG is a decent antivirus and so is Kaspersky.

13. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Oh I guess I didn't make it really clear I meant I wasnt going to put Windows on my computer so was wondering if I still needed an antivirus for mac

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It looked as though you were asking about the Windows side. That one internet-connected game on Windows is enough to require lots of protection.

On the Mac, make certain that you always have the firewall enabled within the Sharing preference pane. The anti-virus protection is not necessary at this time but if you're passing files amongst Windows users, it's a good idea to be a good neighbour.

15. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Sorry guys yeah I meant only for the mac side :) If theres avg for mac ill just download that works pretty well on my PC. I will probably do a lot of passing from PC to mac so it might be useful

16. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Hmmmm no avg for mac. Any other reccomendations for a mac one? (which will not slow things down)

17. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

even if you get a virus from the pc, i'm pretty sure it still wont work

18. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok guess I'll do without the antivirus then unless anyone thinks otherwise :D

19. iGary Guest

iGary

After I lost a client for infecting their network with a virus, I run one now. I can't afford to infect my stupid Windows clients.

20. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Which one do you use?

21. VE3NEF macrumors member

Yep, honest to goodness! :rolleyes: It said '1' next to viruses.

I'm using the latest version of Tiger. I'm supposing it was just a windows virus. Though i was surprised when it showed up!

V

22. VE3NEF macrumors member

Yes, I think it was a windows virus. Must have been. I can't beleive it didn't let me see what it was though.... The anti-virus left a .rtf file containing the log of what it found, but I couldn't open it.

V

23. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Still cant decide which antivirus to use. I know Nortons is pretty lousy...any free good ones? what a shame no AVG for mac :(

24. VE3NEF macrumors member

What anti-virus do you use?

BTW, what happened with your client? He actually left because of the virus?

V

25. Miguel0019 macrumors member

Yest take a look here Intego.com and try their software is free, to try and then you can decide later if you want to buy it.