Do I need a mac-specific PCI wireless card...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by munckee, Mar 31, 2006.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

for a powermac G3, or will any old pci wireless card work? I have an old b/w that I'm trying to get up and running for as little cost as possible, but I don't want to run a cable to my room from the living room (every other computer in the apt. is wireless). Can I just grab a cheapy card from newegg ($9 after rebate!!)?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

check out osx project i dont know what os your running but they have a few guides on installing wifi cards in osx

3. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If you're lucky you can find someone selling the right Linksys card with the Broadcom chip in it. It'll look like a Airport Extreme under OS X. I bought one a few months ago for $30.

5. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Where do I find that? I'm running panther on it right now, and may upgrade it to tiger shortly.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The Belkin 125 HSM PCI card works beautifully because it has the same chipset as Apple uses for the AirPort Extreme cards.

8. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

http://osx86project.org/ here there the guys were you go to find out about windows on a mac, and mac on a x86 box. as such they have loads of diffrent hardware like wifi cards and driver development. There is one person working on building Ati Drivers that work quite well X1800/X1900 work in os x with full 2D/3D acceleration just working on fixing mouse tareing in the gui then its a fully working Ati driver and all the guys with powermacs could proberly use a modifed version of the x86 driver. you will find wifi card support easy or at least what chipsets work well.