Do I need a new battery?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by interlaced, Oct 16, 2006.

1. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

On my 12" Powerbook, my battery drains really fast. Actually, when I have it plugged in it shows 0% for a longggg time as if it's not even charging. Even keeping it plugged in overnight, it'll only go up to 3%. At other times, I'll open the lid and it'll say 99% and again it'll take about an hour to drain to say 98% and then all of a sudden it'll shut off. I tested with a friend's battery on my computer but his was fine and the percentage meter showed 99% all the way down to 15% before it gave the warning about low battery power. So what's wrong with mine? Do I just need a new one?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

LOL!!! [​IMG] I knew that's what I'd find even before clicking on the thread. :D

4. macman2790 macrumors 6502a

macman2790

well, based on your "testing" don't you think you need a new one.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Am I really that predictable? :D

Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do for a bad battery. Re-seating it might help in some situations but I doubt that's the problem here. I really doubt the PMU reset and recalibration will help either, but they're worth a shot. :cool:

6. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Hmm if you have the 12inch powerbook, make sure you don't get a free battery from apple from the recall! :)

I was going to buy a new battery come this winter, but saved some money do to this..very nice feeling saving money when your in college! :p