Do I need a new computer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by niter, Jul 6, 2004.

1. niter macrumors 6502

Last November, I switched permanetly to apple with my iBook G4 12" (800 MHz). I LOVE my computer and would not change a thing. The only thing I sometimes want, and I was fairly certain I would get in the next two years (I graduate May 2006) a desktop (eMac or iMac). Then, I would be "complete" with a tiny laptop and a nicer desktop at home with a superdrive.

However, I have been hearing about Tiger (and I am very excited about it) and hearing how it really will not run on my iBook. Now, I am faced with getting another iBook as I like to keep with the newest operating system. I look at the difference between panther and jaguar and how much I would miss panther if I had no option of having it.

I love my iBook and I would much rather have the iBook/Desktop combo than just a PowerBook alone. Part of my excitement in switching to Apple was that I would not have to upgrade my computer as often. Now, it looks like I just might have to when I wanted to get a good 3 years out of my laptop.

What gives?

Will Tiger really not run on my iBook?

Thanks.

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Tiger will run on your iBook, in fact it will probably run a little faster than Panther does (if the speed from Jag to Panther is anything to go by).

However you're video card will not fully support Core Image and Core Video, which means that some new "eye candy" effects will be toned down or turned off.

It's just like when Quartz Extreme was introduced systems with Rage graphics cards couldn't utilize it but could still run OS X perfectly.

Your iBook will run Tiger perfectly, the preview release runs fine on G3 iBooks yours will be much better.

3. niter thread starter macrumors 6502

The eye candy will not look all choppy will it? I can handle subdued as this is my portable computer and I would like to have a fantastic desktop at home.

Thanks.

4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

so are core image and core video intergrated into tiger for free then???

that will make the upgrade price easier to swallow.....

5. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Well it's kind of hard to say with Tiger still about a year away.

But considering your iBook has a Radeon 9200 which is pretty powerful and supports Quartz Extreme fully, if you don't see any choppiness now I doubt you will with Tiger.

I think things like the "water ripple effect" when Dashboard widgets are launched will be minimized or switched off.

Basically Core Image and Core Video are supposed to scale according to the capabilities of your graphics card, if it can't display something properly it should switch it off instead sacrificing performance.