Do I need a new printer and scanner if I switch to OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by wilburpan, Jul 30, 2002.

1. wilburpan macrumors regular

My wife and I are planning to switch our home computer from an old win98 machine to a brand spanking new iMac. However, in planning for the cost of the switch, I think we may have found a snag -- potentially having to replace my printer and scanner. We have a NEC Superscript 870 laser printer and a Canon N1220U USB scanner. I cannot find any information if OSX drivers are going to be ever available for these two pieces of hardware.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Looks like canon is playing it stupid and only providing drivers/support for 'classic mode' aka OS 9.x not OS X. It also appears that NEC is playing it dumb as well, but at least it looks like they MIGHT eventually provide drivers for the printer. How old are those two items?? How much do you really use the scanner?? You might be better off scanning either in classic, or booting into OS 9 to scan and then go back into OS X when you have captured all the images.

An easier route would be to get a new scanner and printer (I prefer Epson, since they have great products at a reasonable price). I have an Epson C80N printer and Perfection 2450 Photo scanner, both are excellent items and perform very well.

You also might want to give both canon and nec a call to find out when they will be getting off of their thumbs and providing OS X drivers for the items you have.

3. wilburpan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I contacted Canon and NEC.

Canon's response was that native OS X drivers are being developed, but they could not give me a timeframe for when they would be available.

NEC says "Mac OS X is incompatible with the 870 printer and will not work no matter what. For that reason, no drivers will be created for Mac OS X."

So it looks like I would have to get a new printer, at least.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Since you are looking to get a new printer, I highly recommend the C80 from Epson. If you want to network the printer, get the C80N, otherwise you just use a USB cable. I have the C80N (purchased as a C80, modified to put it onto my home network) at home, and it works great for both Mac and pc (game pc running win2k).

5. zorglub macrumors member

you can download VueScan 7.5.40 it support N1220U at hamrick.com

z-)

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I've found that VueScan is not as powerful as they lead you to believe. Plus, it's not freeware. $40 for an app that sort of scans is a bit steep... Besides, if Canon is working on a PhotoShop plug in for that scanner to run under OS X, that will be a much better choice (as well as free). Even if you need to boot into OS 9.x to scan, until the software is finished (if classic mode doesn't work for you).

For the record, I have tried VueScan before on my Epson 2450 scanner, and the free PS plug in is many times better.

7. wilburpan thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, for my purposes, I get the most use out of a monochrome laser printer. Any suggestions for an OS X system? I would like to keep the price in the <$400 range.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Same printer, the C80... It sells for between $150 and $200 (depending if the $50 rebate is still offered or not), does 20ppm black and white and has the color option as well. It has seperate ink cartridges, so you don't have to worry about changing all of the colors when one runs out. It also has great quality for printing out just about anything you want. It handles up to 8.5"x44" (letter and legal from the tray, or a long banner/roll) print sizes, which covers most people's needs.

The consumables will also be less then a laser printer (considering the cost of a toner cartridge compared to ink cartridges, don't let the sizes fool you).

I have found many people that say they only want monochrome printing, doing a lot of color printing once they have the option.