Do I need a range extender?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vniow, Sep 26, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

I just bought a Linksys WRT54G yesterday to replace a Netgear router (also recently bought) because of dropped connections and a few other problems but I'm really disappointed in the range of the thing. The router is in my room which is at the far east side of the apartment since its where the modem and cables are and I estimated it to be about 120ft long fron end to end. When you get to the kitchen the connection almost drops, its still existent but its about 4 times slower than say just outside my door.

I'm mostly wondering if this is normal or if not then what's causing it and how do I remedy the problem. There's a crapload of other wireless connections around my place so perhaps they could be intersecting. The connection is fine for the most part but it certainly could be better. I don't think I'm able to more it to a more central location in the apartment since all the wires converge in my room and I'd rather not have to buy a range extender unless I need one so if anyone has any other options please post them...

-Ani

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Consider buying a directional antenna if you don't want to move the router, or build your own refelector. (http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/)

Which version WRT54G did you get? 'Caus you could also use one of the many third party firmwares out there. I use open-wrt on mine, others use DD-WRT.

B

3. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I forget, I'll have to look at it when I get home. Would one of the 3rd party firmwares increase the range? I've breifly looked into them but I don't want to install any if I don't have to.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They can, although they take you outside of the FCC allowable range if you tweak some settings. You might also get a better range if you use a channel that is less used in your neighborhood.

Try the simple things first.

EDIT: Such as... Move the router away from things that could be uncontrolled refelectors, like metal surfaces, walls, ... build one of the free reflectors like the one I linked to above or this easier one from the same site: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/ (some card stock and aluminum foil is all you need).

B

5. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

I tried the 3rd party firmware to see if it increased range...and honestly I didn't see much of a difference - but others might disagree with me. I've also heard that if you increase the range too much that the router may overheat.