Do I need a UIWebView for this?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ranguvar, Aug 16, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2009

In my app, I'm going to display data that contains styled text, links, images and maybe even embedded video. In the end, it should look somewhat like the Articles app:

I'm not really keen to actually have to pull data from a server and then reformat it in HTML so that the UIWebView can display it correctly - that seems like a lot of work.

Is there maybe an easier way to display such data or will I need a UIWebView?
  2. macrumors 68030

Sep 2, 2008
    The only general solution to drawing styled text is web view. It might be possible to use core text for this but I don't think there's a simple, existing, general solution.

The only other general existing solution I know of is three20 lib, which has a styled text label class.

Writing your own general solution will be a lot of work. However you do this the text will have to have some kind of styles applied, analogous to how html works.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2007
    Colchester, UK
    Use a UIWebView; if you think reformatting the content for UIWebView is a lot of work, you don't even want to know about the alternative solution (which involves CoreText and a lot of banging your head against a wall).
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2009
    Seems like I'm going with a UIWebView then.