Do I need additional anti-spyware protection?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Danyell, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Danyell macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2006
    I was just wondering, do I need to install any anti-malware/spyware software for my macbook, such as spybot search & destroy? I'm pretty sure it's covered. But I'm worried about something getting on my comp and not knowing what to do about it.
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    There isn't any Spyware/Adware etc for Mac so you'll be fine. If you're also running Windows however you'll need it on that part of your drive.

OSX doesn't require any anti-virus or anti-malware software because there isn't anything out there for it to protect you from.
  4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA
    You're good on the Mac-side...

but as other posters are recommending, get the appropriate software for the "Windows Thingy" and you should be just fine. I had no idea what spyware was until about 6 months ago when I watched my best friend's Dell laptop get wacked by something, and once it started "poof" his hard drive went "night-night" at the snap of my fingers. Sad, Sad and Sadder. :eek::(
  5. marcelcole macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2008
    Canada lolzz
    Well i finally decided to register and post something, I have years of experience with each Windows/Linux/Mac and from my experience windows definately needs some sort-of anti-spyware protections (Spybot S&D) covers that best, if you're on a Mac and you have a Virtual Machine running windows and it has access to any of your mac files it would be a good idea to have a program for mac called "Mac Scan" to scan once in a month or something just to be on the safe side, you cant really get spyware on mac unless doing so intentionally there is not really spyware per-se for mac but other nasty things like DNS changers and those annoying things. But if you read carefully and are not using a VM then you should not really worry about it..

So..spyware required?

Mac with windows VM = Yes (just to be safe)
    Just Mac = No
  6. northy124 macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2007
    Spy-Bot Is Windows Only And You Don't Install The Anti-Virus/Spyware App On The Mac Just In Windows No Mac Just Windows.
  7. marcelcole macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2008
    Canada lolzz
    Oh yes I realize that I suppose my post didn't explain what I was trying to say as well as it should have. I know that Spybot is windows-only and that on mac you don't "install"