Do I need an antivirus on VMware????

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Grfelix, Nov 24, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Hey guys, im a new mac user, so i have practically no experience using mac, I recently installed windows XP home edition on my mac through VMware Fusion and it work correctly, the only question I have is... Do I need to worry enough about viruses while using Windows on VMware?, and what antivirus and antispyware is recommended to install??...

Thanks.

2. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If it's Windows, yes

I use AVG. Avoid Norton

3. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes you do. avast and AVG are 2 good free ones.

4. Retired

psychofreak

Viruses will affect the Windows installation if it gets them, but not the Mac side, I recommend AVG Free and Ad-aware :)

5. macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Cool. AVG seems to work fine. Thanks for the tip.

6. macrumors 68000

Most major ISPs give you Antivirus/firewall software for "free" (I know I know - the cost is probably passed on to the user as part of the monthly bill). Comcast has a deal with McAfee.

7. macrumors member

I don't.... i have had avg interfere with some programes (exe's) I was trying to run so I uninstalled it. If you're not doing much work on windows I would skip it.. get adaware and firefox and don't click on spam ads or open suspicious emails and you will find that you really don't need virus protection... Just make sure you back stuff up regularly and you will be prepared if something does go wrong, which is unlikely.

8. macrumors newbie

Are they actually reliable and safe, or will I get more protection with McAfee:confused:

9. macrumors regular

Just download the new Security Essentials from Microsoft. Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware and it's been getting rave reviews across the web. It's very light on system resources and has a phenomenal detection engine. I've dumped both Avast and AVG now for Security Essentials on all my systems running Windows. It doesn't nag you either to upgrade to the "bigger/better" version.... only one version available from MS and it's totally free.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

Cheers!

James