Do I need an X1900?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Craigy, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Craigy macrumors 6502

Going to buy a 2.66 mac pro next week but I am a little confused to if I 'need' to upgrade to an X1900 graphics card over the stock card.

We run mainly, FCP, Logic Pro, Motion, Photoshop, Compressor and all the other usual apps etc.. No games or 3D.

Would I be better off putting the money into memory and getting a stock machine?

Any thoughts, thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

None whatsoever...?

Get the best machine you can afford. I would probably gat as much RAM as possible, and (initially) gotten a moderate GPU upgrade, BTO... now, since the X1900 is the "next step" up, and at a fair premium, I'd probably pass... but that's just me... ;)

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Since you're using Motion, I'd suggest you get the fastest video card possible, also, get at least 4 gigs of RAM.

But seeing the latest Barefeats.com benchmarks, I think you'll be just fine with 7300. Put the saved money into more RAM :)

[​IMG]

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im not sure if motion need better 3D card, would be nice if you have any test.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I wouldn't put a lot of credit into the Motion benchmark. He doesn't take into account GPU intensive tasks such as particle emitters, simulations, etc. He simply renders one of the templates. I would say if you're running Motion, you definitely want the x1900. This coming from someone who has WORKED in Motion using both cards.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I didnt know they were rendering a standard theme. :eek:

I only worked in Motion on my Radeon 9600

Definetely get the best video card for Motion then.

This, however doent make additional RAM unnecessary. Motion loves RAM

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would go with the ATI Radon X1900 XT, it offers a heck of a lot of performance for not much more than the price of the GeForce 7300 GT. :)