Resolved Do I need hosting? Domain-Host(?)-Tumblr?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by EricByer, Oct 31, 2012.

1. EricByer, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

macrumors member

Aug 16, 2012
    Long time reader, first time poster.

The Long Version:

I'm in grad school (it's safe to say it's not a tech-based program :p) and might need a medium through which to display a professional portfolio in a year or two. Rather than wait until that time and have to scramble to figure all this stuff out, I figured I'd start this process now and give myself sometime to play with this and hopefully develop a better understanding of the process.

I've purchased a domain and, for the time being, I'd just like my domain to display my Tumblr. Do I need hosting of any sort?

Thanks to MR, I've already purchased the domain through and, if need be, I think I'll go for hosting.

TL;DR Version:

I have a domain. I have a Tumblr. I'd like my domain to display my Tumblr. Do I need hosting?

Looks like I'm in business. My Tumblr appears to be redirecting to my domain now. Glad I didn't need hosting.
  2. macrumors 68000

Dec 7, 2007
    Alexandria, VA, USA
    Glad you answered your own question which involves using Tumblr which does not require third party web hosting.
  3. bronxred, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013

macrumors member

Jul 22, 2002
    I've been with Dreamhost for nine years and, while I absolutely love them, you're right that you probably don't need them. I still like their domain management and host my own email with them (Google Apps is a mess), but I use Tumblr for my personal website.

Best wishes with your portfolio!

Jake :D