Do I need pci-x

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NSiebenmor, May 24, 2005.

1. NSiebenmor macrumors member

I need some advice on choosing the right Powermac. I can not decide if I will need the pci-x slots in the dual 2.3. I use photoshop extensively and there is a possibility that I will occationally be doing some video editing, but not often, with Final Cut Pro. I am on a buget, but I will pay the extra if there will be a need for the pci-x in the future. I don't want my machine to become outdated quickly. Can anyone help me out with my decision? thanks
    Nick

2. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

If you're comparing it with the 2GHz model, then the presence of PCI-X slots is not the only difference. The 2.3GHz model has eight RAM slots whereas the 2GHz model has only four.

Apart from the maximum RAM you'd be able to upgrade to, going for eight slots would also allow you to upgrade gradually (without having to chuck or sell the existing RAM). So if you'd like to upgrade RAM in a cost effective manner over time, the 2.3GHz is a better choice. Note that two slots would already be filled with the RAM Apple installs - in the base configuration, that would leave two empty slots on the 2GHz and 6 empty slots on the 2.3GHz.

Additional differences between the 2GHz and 2.3GHz (stock):
    * 160GB HDD vs 250GB HDD
    * Slightly faster FSB on the 2.3GHz

As for PCI-X, you really may not need it for the next few years (depends on what upgrades you do).

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree with it all, go with the dual 2.3GHz PowerMac G5- you will be glad that you did.

4. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the extra RAM slots. You can always replace existing RAM so unless you plan on putting more than 4GB in there, I wouldn't lose sleep.

Do you know what sort of upgrades you may be planning on doing? I'm guessing the most likely use you may have for the PCI-X slot is a video card (but you can also no doubt get a similar AGP video card). Honestly, right now the PCI-X is very limited. In the future it will no doubt be more prevalent, but you still ought to be able to get quite a bit PCI stuff.

I think you really would need to figure out what likely upgrade you would get in the future that would be available in PCI-X and not PCI (or AGP) that would make you kick yourself.

It's a $500 dollar difference and personally, I'd tuck it away. That $500 will also buy a good portion of a new machine in say 2-3 years that will be loaded with many new features you don't have now.