Do I need to register as a developer to test my app?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by v2club, Mar 11, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I don't have any apps yet, still working on my first one. I was wandering whether I need to register as a developer and pay the $99 in order to be able to test a Mac/iPhone app on my own device?

2. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Mac application ? No. iPhone application ? Yes.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm the other way around would seem more logical to me. Develop a Mac app and then test is on my MBP without paying 99 dollars because the OS X is not restricted from installing apps from any source, while the iOS is (unless it's jail broken). That's weird, I don't understand the logic behind it.

4. macrumors 603

Please reread the question and answer.

You asked: "Do I need to register as a developer to test my app?"

"Mac application ? No."
    "No" means you do not need to register as a developer to test your app on any Mac computer.

"iPhone application ? Yes."
    "Yes" means you do need to register as a developer and pay $99 to test your app on an actual iOS device. Unless you jailbreak, of course.

5. macrumors newbie

ditobook

6. macrumors 68000

You're replying to a three year old question.

As of iOS 9, you do need to register as a developer but can now load your apps to your personal device without paying the $99 fee. You have never had to pay to compile for any Mac distribution unless you wanted to post such an app to the Mac App Store. Posting to either App Store still requires the $99 yearly fee, which now combines iOS and Mac developer registrations into one $99 fee.

7. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Wait, what? This is definitely worthy of having a news article on it on MacRumors - I had not heard of this until now. Do you have an official source for this?

8. macrumors regular

This is Xcode 7 feature. https://developer.apple.com/xcode/

9. macrumors 68000

Teidon gave the link. As mentioned, it's really a new Xcode feature that uses your Apple ID, so I guess when Xcode 7 goes public, you'll just download it from the Appple store and not even need a developer account from the sound of it.

This was announced in one of the WWDC 2015 keynotes. If your serious about developing for Apple products you should always watch at least those two talks each year.

10. macrumors 65816

I'll be official. I officially paid $99 for both the Mac and iOS program renewal 15 Jun 2015. Yep, that's official.

I had to pay $299 for the enterprise access. ( I believe I have this part correct ).

11. macrumors G5

gnasher729

This part was announced at WWDC. For the other part (one fee now pays for iOS and Mac paid programs), I got an email from Apple :)

12. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Yeah, I got the email about merging the iOS and Mac paid programs, and I remember that at WWDC. I watched the entire WWDC keynote and I don't recall them mentioning that you no longer needed a paid membership to test on your own device... I would have noticed that.

13. macrumors 65816

macsmurf

I believe it was presented in the Platforms State of the Union. Just download Xcode 7 beta and try it out for yourself. It works.

I agree that MR ought to have done an article on it but I guess it's hard to find space with all the "Apple Watch is a big deal, honest!" and "Who's copying Apple now?" articles that also need to be posted ;)

14. macrumors 6502a

grandM

for iOS apps you no longer need to pay for testing purposes. For mac apps I do not know.

15. macrumors G5

gnasher729

For MacOS X you never needed to pay anything to run apps on your computer or on anyone else's computer, the $99 fee was for putting apps onto the App Store.

16. macrumors regular

When in Xcode 7 you just need to login in with the apple id but that should be coming soon to apple:)