Do I really need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JayStarr, Mar 24, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I have a screen protector on my iPad 3 right now and I hate it. I would so much rather just not have it. I treat the iPad exceptionally well. Do I really need it? I have a smart protector. I also have a carbon fiber backing. I like those just not the protector.

2. macrumors regular

I haven't used a screen protector on any of my iOS devices. I've had an iPhone since 07 and an iPad since 2010 and have not had single scratch on any of the screens

3. macrumors 68030

phpmaven

I've had:
    iPhone 3GS
    iPhone 4
    iPad 1
    iPad 2
    iPad 3rd generation.

Never had a screen protector on any of them and never had a single scratch.

I am careful with my stuff however.

4. macrumors regular

I bought one for my iPad and it looked so crappy. It feels and looks so much better without one. I have a film over the back to protect it from scratches but i feel the smart cover does a good job of protecting the front.

5. macrumors 68040

You need a quality screen protector. I use Powersupport -- and it's just like glass. I can't tell it's on. Expensive though.

6. donster28, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

macrumors 6502a

The reason I put a screen protector from the get go is to preserve the oleophobic coating. This coating wears off in time.

I purchase screen protectors that are not cheap, have oleophobic coatings themselves and do not scratch as easy.

I also take my time in installing the screen protector which leaves me with a dust free, bubble free, lint free install.

7. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Only protects against scratches & since it is basically Corning glass, flip over a casserole dish & check for scratches. Probably none. Do the math.

8. macrumors member

I've never had one on any of my devices, and just a few days ago, I was mocking one of my friends for putting one on his iPad.

What do I notice on my screen yesterday? 2 little scratches. I'm pretty irritated with myself, but I will just have to get over it. Part of me wants to run out and get a screen protector ASAP, but the other part of me is thinking that it's too late now. Lol. It's kind of like getting that first scratch or ding on a new car.

9. macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The coating does not work if you cover it. What are you saving it for.

It really does not wear off from use.

10. macrumors newbie

After a week of putting it off I put in the Power Support crystal protector on.

I found I didn't like the feel of the naked glass, but I've always had protectors before. I like it with the cover and the screen still look fantastic.

I used to be super crap at putting them on but after some research I can now do it without bubbles and most importantly dust and lint. The biggest problem really still is lining it up.

I redid the iPad 1 and its never looked better either.

11. macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

There's absolutely no need of a screen protector. Enjoy the sensation of the iPad without almost useless accessories.

12. macrumors 6502a

kirk26

You definitely do not a screen protector. It just ruins the experience of using a touch screen.

13. macrumors G4

daneoni

I put Powersupport crystal on mine. No complaints about feel or clarity plus I get peace of mind.

14. macrumors member

15. macrumors newbie

I also use a screen protector. For the next few days I will be using just the cheap one I picked up for a few quid, its already driving me crazy with bubbles. I plan to buy a more expensive one to replace it though. My sister and smaller cousins are always pesting to use my iPad so id rather be safe than sorry.

16. macrumors 68030

phpmaven

If you always have a skin on the glass, what good is preserving the oleophobic coating going to be? Just sayin'

It's very difficult to scratch the screen. You would just about have to be trying to do it. I wipe my screen with my shirt all the time and kitchen towels and never have had a scratch. I suppose if you are extremely careless or use your iPad in a machine shop or other harse environment with metal chips flying around, then maybe.

17. macrumors 68020

I've had:
    iPhone 3G
    iPhone 4
    iPad 1
    iPad 2
    iPad 3rd generation.

Never had a screen protector or case on any of them and never had a single scratch.

18. macrumors regular

gquiring

iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 2, iPad 3rd gen

Never ever have I used a screen protector and I never will......

19. macrumors 6502a

bembol

Only on Smart Phones and 7" Tablets.

I don't know how/what happened but it saved my iPhone 4S. There's a two inch scratch on it.

20. macrumors 6502a

Yes, it does wear off. I've had an iPhone 4 which was used naked and it is now more prone to smudges more than before.

What am I preserving the coating for? Well, why do people wax their cars when they can perfectly run them without doing so? All I can say is, my 3 year old car looks brand new compared to my friend's who bought it the same time as I did.

21. donster28, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Again, I'm going to use the car analogy I posted just now. You don't have to wax your car to use it, but by doing so can preserve it's actual factory coating. Why do I need to preserve the oleophobic screen on my iPad? Well, in a couple of years, when I don't feel that I have to put a screen protector on, the coating will still do its job until I decide to upgrade.

It's all a matter of preservation and feeling good about it my friend, nothing else.

22. macrumors 6502

Wonder why they never went the Gorilla Glass route like Asus did with the Transformer. My iPad and Transformer screen both feel the same.

23. macrumors 65816

Why do you care to preserve the displays oleophobic coating when you always have a screen protector on it?

24. macrumors 6502

And the glare and having to keep cleaning the screen ruins the experience imo.

25. donster28, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

macrumors 6502a

See my post before this one.