Do I really need an a/c adapter?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by starvinartist, Jan 20, 2006.

1. starvinartist macrumors newbie

Hi, sorry for starting a topic as my first post, but I could really appreciate some help. I recently recieved an ipod, with no AC adapter from a friend. Upon connecting it to my computer, I decided to restore the ipod. Unfortunately, after the ipod had been restored, it said I would need to plug it into the a/c adaptor as a final step. Is there any way around this, or do I have to go out and buy one (or use a friend's)?

(edit) it's a gen 4, btw

2. jkelly888 macrumors regular

jkelly888

thats never happenbed to me but if it says to do it, use a friends so it can finish what it needs then u can prolly just use a comp to charge it

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah sorry, but an adaptor is essential at this stage. I think it's a flaw in the iPod restore process that it needs an adaptor yet is not bundled with one anymore. :(

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

My guess is that they want power, but no data. I wonder if they just made a little USB dongle that only had the outer (power) pins, but no inner pins (data) whether that would "count" as an A?C adaptor.

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Alternatively, if you can connect via Firewire, it should not require an adapter. I seem to recall that it was restoring across USB that required an adapter for the final stage in the 4G (which did ship with the adapter). The newer iPods that don't include the adapter don't require this step.

6. starvinartist thread starter macrumors newbie

frustrating. I guess I'll have to borrow/buy one then. Thanks anyway!

(edit) I'm pretty sure it did come with an adaptor, but I the person I recieved the ipod from had lost it. Since I don't have firewire, my options are pretty clear, I guess.