Do I Really Need Tiger??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Southbridge, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Southbridge macrumors regular

Southbridge

So whats the big deal? I cant search for stuff the old way? What do I need Tiger For?

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

um.. not everything has to do with Spotlight. Go read the damned website ... if the features don't impress you and you can live without a few apps that will take advantage of the new features (meaning you can't run them on jag or panther) then you're set and can use panther.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Seems like a rhetorical question, no? You obviously don't "need" it. Of course, that doesn't mean you may not like it. If Panther floats your boat, great!

4. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Bragging Rights --- for me, I'm gonna wait for the price to go down...

5. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Umm, dude Panther stayed the same price all along. And Amazon has a great deal on Tiger right now. Or even better, there's a sweeeeeeet edu price.

6. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

lol.

7. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Seriously, I've been thinking the same thing. Yes, the new features in Tiger are undeniably a significant improvement over past versions of OS X. However, I have this possibly unfounded fear that on my current system, Tiger's gonna crawl. Plus, since my teeny-weeny G4 update won't handle any of the 64-bit anything that's been added to the OS, I'm debating just leaving things at 10.3.9 (when it's released).

For some reason, although the difference between Panther and Tiger is much greater than the difference between Jaguar and Panther, I'm just not as excited about adopting Tiger right away like I did with Panther. Maybe I'm waiting for 10.4.1 or 10.4.2 to hit, maybe it just seems like there isn't a lot for it to take advantage of with the setup I currently have (which is pushing obsolete - I'm going to guess that 10.5 will only be for native G4 chips and better).

Besides, not buying Tiger will give me that much more money in the bank for a shiny new iMac, which will start coming with Tiger very soon. :D

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

I'm getting my copy just to play around with on one of my machines, but won't consider upgrading some of the other machines until I really have to. I have Panther tweaked just perfect and can't see starting from scratch again. By all accounts, if you totally fine with Panther, there really isn't a compelling reason to switch (until Apple stops supporting Panther - probably sometime next year or in 2007)

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yesss... you neeeed Tiger... you neeeed Tiger... Apple is Divine... you must pay your duesssss...

Seriously though, Tiger is shaping up to be an amazing update. When Panther first came out, I wasn't impressed - expose? Who cares? Jaguar is just fine. But I inevitably break down shortly after release, and buy myself a copy. And now I just can't imagine going back to Jaguar. It's the little things, man. I feel much more excited for Tiger than I was for Panther, so it should be amazing.

Just wait for a few days after the release, and see all the ravings around here. You'll probably break down.

(Oh boy, it was HARD restraining my mean streak here... You guys proud of me or what? :p :D

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

11. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

To which our buddy William Blake would answer:

What the hammer? What the chain?
    In what furnace was thy brain?

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
    In the forests of the night,
    What immortal hand or eye
    Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ohhhhh, yeah. I mean, I'm going to wait until the version for x86 architecture gets released. :eek: ;) :D *crawls back under rock*

I'm kinda torn between selling my iBook and upgrading it to get Tiger and iLife 05, or upgrading just the two pieces of software, but one way or another, I want Tiger in the next six months or so. I might wait for a couple of dot releases to come out.

But hehe, bragging rights are sort of my reason too. Not bragging rights so much, as I bought a Mac to have fun with computers again, and playing with a new OS, when it doesn't promise to be an XP SP2 headache, is fun. :)

13. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Tiger is also supposed to run much faster than Panther.

14. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

it ain't gonna go down. unless you buy on ebay that is.

15. Southbridge thread starter macrumors regular

Southbridge

um.... is it me or is this OS looking more and more like bloaty windows? Honestly it looks like a lot of fluff to me, and no real substance... (who cares about a calculator? dictionary?) Theres no one thing (looking over the new features) that I cant live without... :confused:

16. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I hope this is the case as it would be the main selling point for me.

17. Southbridge thread starter macrumors regular

Southbridge

and how convenient for apple, since only about half of the mac's out there even actually have the minimum requirements for this upgrade. Looks like EVERYBODY'S GONNA HAVE TO BUY A NEW MAC! :rolleyes:

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It's just you.

19. TheWitePony macrumors regular

Exactly, Panther was still $129 even right up until yesterday. Oddly enough I couldn't find it on the Apple Store just now, that was quick I guess they only want people ordering Tiger now.

Apple is not going to lower the price over time...

20. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

So, don't buy it. Does someone have a gun to your head?

Then you manage to turn around and * complain * that Tiger is faster than Panther. Lame. If you're happy with Panther, what do you have to bitch about?

So tell me, how old of a system will XP run on?

21. Logik macrumors 6502a

and the upper cut lands hard...

i think a lot of the features rock. a dictionary, sorry but i hate opening a web browser just to look up a word's meaning or to open another tab which somehow manages to stay open forever.

a calculator at my finger tips ... i would love that, right now i use quicksilver with the calc plugin which is still kinda cumbersome. not having to open address book to look up a phone number (ya quicksilver can do that too), CoreImage will make my life better, CoreData will too, Spotlight with Smart Folders will take over my life, and automator will likely make repetitive things even less repetative. I say for $70 (edu discount) it's worth it to me and my year old powerbook. If for some reason it isn't worth it to you, don't buy the thing. no one is pointing a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it. just realize that developers WILL start taking advantage of these new features.. like CoreImage, CoreData, CoreVideo, Spotlight, Automator, Dashboard and quicktime 7 (which is available in panther anyway) ... if you can live without those applications then use panther, but ya... eventually you will be forced to upgrade.. no one says you HAVE to right now though. Odds are the price will NOT go down, so go sign up for some classes at the local community college, educate yourself a bit, culture yourself some, and get an educational discount. It'll do you some good and you get a few perks as well, in my area i get free movies, software discounts, book discounts, free stuff all the time. It's great to be part of a community too, not to mention you LEARN too. my local community college has classes at $60 per credit (for community enrichment).. who the heck can't afford a class once in awhile? 3 credits... $180 to better educate yourself..

EDIT:
    my point is that apple is making efforts to give developers tools that will make better and more revolutionary applications ... you'll need Tiger to take advantage of what developers dream up next. If these apps don't make you interested then stick with panther. that's what i'm saying.

22. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Well we'll have to see how Tiger performs before we call it bloatware. I care about the Calculator and Dictionary. I like to make sure I'm using words properly. Hell I'd like a Thesaurus widget too. Spotlight doesn't seem that sexy...I mean hell it's "search" personified. But it'll save your ass one day finding some stuff on your terabyte HD and you'll thank some nameless Apple Engineer or simply thank Dom Giampaolo and his crew.

Automator looks like the real deal. Apple is hyping it more than I thought they would. I love the idea of automating as much as I can. Quicktime is the foundation..the very bedrock of multimedia on Mac. You can't disregard it without excising a large portion of what makes a Mac special.

People don't "need" Tiger but if you like computers then there's no reason to put off getting it unless your pockets aren't ready for the $119 charge.

23. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Me.

Me. I like using the "define: " feature in Google.

24. Southbridge thread starter macrumors regular

Southbridge

ok... well now I got all the fan boy opinions howabout some others? I mean come on. You're too lazy to use the net for a dictionary? Its more stuff on your computer that you'll never use in a million years. Great. More search capabilities. Like I use the search capability so much now... Widget? um... so whats wrong with the gui? My point is there is nothing that really jumps out as a necessity.

Its called minimum requirements. It seems that tiger has minimum requirements last time I checked...

25. ifjake macrumors 6502a

there are quite a lot of version upgrades across the board for all the little apps that i use. other stuff looks like it could be pretty interesting. maybe even quite useful. i dunno i'm having a hard time visualizing what kind of feature there could be that would make upgrading a necessity. it's more of a gradual evolution i think. i don't really think there's going to be this be all end all feature that would suddenly appear and make everyone trip over themselves to get it. i have no qualms with getting Tiger thanks to my good ol' educational discount.