Do I sense a major price drop on the Cinema 20"?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by madoka, Nov 4, 2004.

1. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Given that the new Dell 20" widescreen is about to come out at $800, do you guys think that Apple is either going to drop the price several hundred to stay competitive or just get slaughtered in the marketplace? I would love to have a matching Apple display, but a $500 surcharge for their logo seems too much!

Here is the link:

http://www.chait.net/index.php?p=504

And the relevant info:

The new UltraSharp 2005FPW is a departure from previous Dell widescreen LCDs, which were generally integrated TV models, and going directly after the competition like Apple’s 20″ Cinema Display panel. Of course, at a pricepoint of $799, the Dell 2005FPW could take a chunk out of Apple’s market –since the newest version of the Apple 20″ display prices out at $1299. The difference between the displays is small, and likely has more to do with panel technologies and pricing drops than anything else. We’ve previously reviewed the older Apple 20″ Cinema Display, and we love it, but we’re open to seeing some real price-competition.

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Interesting that it pivots too. Seems very appealing.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

That's one horrible looking monitor! I have a 20" Apple AL ACD and I'd rather pay the extra money and have something that looks as good as my Power Mac G5. Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick to Apple.

4. Jaz macrumors regular

I doubt it, Apple don't compete on price for any item that could be a Pro one.

LCD prices have fallen but have you ever seen Apple react to price cut by Dell? I haven't and I've been buying Apple for a long time.

Maybe if Lacie or Formac cut prices deeply on there Pro LCD's then Apple would respond.

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

That Dell is one ugly monitor, but for $500 I could remember that I spend most of my time looking at the image being displayed, not the casing itself.

I could see this pushing Apple's price to $999, though. Just wishful thinking?

6. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

As "horrible" as the Dell screen looks (note that the speakers are removable), I don't think most people are willing to spend the extra $500 for a screen with the same specs and slightly better aesthetics. Apple really needs to get the 20" model under the $1k mark.

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Apple will have to drop their prices, the new Cinema Displays were design from the go to COMPETE in the pc market.

A few hundred £££ off each model would be very nice.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd love to see the Apple LCDs come down in price a bit. And for $800 a piece you could get 2 for almost the price of a 23" Apple LCD.....That's really nice :D

D

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

10. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Also, don't forget that the $800 price is before Dell's usual crazy coupons. I'm betting before long you will be able to pick up one of these for ~$600. Now THAT would be a steal, and something Apple would find hard to compete with. Hell, you'd be able to buy 2 of them for the price of one 20" Cinema display! Ugly or not, such logic is hard to argue against.

11. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Hmmmm... I'm very much looking into getting a 20" screen. Right now I have an iBook G4 and a Windows PC. I was going to get a 20" cinema display but can't hook my iBook up to it (cheaply anyway) due to lack of DVI on the iBook and lack of VGA on the Cinema Display. Although I would feel a little dirty having a Dell logo on my desk. But that's what sticky notes are for... I'll have to keep this in the back of my mind...

12. electric macrumors regular

I have been looking for a less expensive flat panel, I was going to go with a sony 20" but now that this wide screen has come out I will need to re decide. It's the 3 year warranty that sells me on it. I have had a string of bad apples lately and if I bought an Apple display I would need to get Apple care and that would increase the price.
    I like the Apple display but feel that it needs to have a better warranty for the grip of money they want.

13. madoka thread starter macrumors 6502

madoka

Dell's current 20" monitor, the 2001 FP, is currently selling for $600 shipped. People are estimating it will hit $500 before the year is done. I have one hooked up to my QS G4 (as well as a PC, a Gamecube and a DVD player) and I must say that it rocks. 16x12, DVI, VGA, S-video, and composite inputs with 16ms response time. No way is the 20" Cinema worth more than 2 of them! Personally I do think Apple has to drop the price at least another $300-$400 to be even in the same ballpark. I mean the Apple logo and nice looks can only go so far.

14. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I presume people are objecting to the speaker bar on the underside when they call the unit "ugly." If you read the press release, said bar is removable. (You read the release, right?) Slim design and not ugly in my opinion.

Unit also rotates for portrait viewing, something the Apple doesn't do. Dell has a better contrast ratio, same response time, and four USB ports to Apple's two. (Apple has two Firewire but I'd rather have USB.) The Dell also has S-video inputs and a picture-in-picture mode to display the various inputs. Apple...not so much.

So the Apple has fewer features (3) and costs nearly twice as much.

But it does have that aluminum finish. :rolleyes:

Yea, I think I know what monitor will be on my XMas list! (I also get 10% off Dell products from my company, not to mention the crazy deals Dell is always offering.)

Easy. Call.

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It's not pretty ... but the Apple Display is not worth 63% more, especially since the specs on the Dell matches or are better than the Apple display.

Apple
    Contrast 400:1
    Brightness 250cd/m2
    Response 16ms
    Viewing angle 170 degrees

Dell
    Contrast 600:1
    Brightness 300cd/m2
    Response 16ms (12ms)
    Viewing angle +/-90 degrees ??

I'm not sure what the +/-90 degrees means. There are also the issues of color balance and even illumination which are difficult to get just be the specs, but they can't be so much worse on the Dell screen that it's worth the price difference, can they?

Anyway, the LCD panel manufacturers have reduced their prices lately according to news sites, so it would be strange if Apple isn't able to reduce prices as well.

16. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

I would assume the +/- 90º means its only got a 90º viewing angle to either direction, but I could be totally off.

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

We recently got 17" Dell flat panel and it's a decent quality display.

I'd definitely consider getting one of these.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Since the Dell allows for pivoting, is that supported natively in PB's and PM's?

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This new Dell has DVI, VGA, Analogue, and S-Video inputs, is a lot cheaper, and IMO hardly looks ugly (what's ugly about a slim, black bezel?).

The fact that Apple displays only have 1 DVI port and nothing else is a huge turn off for me, let alone the price! :eek:

20. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Well I have a notion I'm going to be buying one of these next week... unless somebody can recommend something better. With this 20 incher I can hook up both my iBook G4 (via VGA) and my Windows PC (via DVI) and once I get my PowerMac G5 I can ditch my PC and hook the G5 up to it instead. In my opinion it's not any worse than the Apple Cinema display and actually has more features. Some electrical tape over the Dell logo and it's perfect! (My friends would never let it down that I had a Dell monitor!)

Can somebody think of a better bang fer yer buck to convince me otherwise?

So if I order it I'll post pics and such once I do. But I'm pretty close to positive I'll be doing as such. Merry Christmas to me right? :)

21. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

i've been waiting for PC manufacturers to introduce widescreen monitors for a long time. so far apple has not even had competition so the prices have been very high. now that they do and probably will have more in the (hopefully near) future, they will have to adjust their price points.

apple displays are THE most stylish ever, but i'd still buy a brandX 20" widescreen were it available for 500€ in comparison to apple's which costs twice as much.

22. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apple's 20 inch Cinema Display has been overpriced for awhile and strangely so considering it is the lowest offering from Apple. In Contrast the 23 inch display is priced more attractively than most of the competition and the 30 inch simply has none. However at the 20 inch market almost all Manufacturers are selling 1600x1200LCD displays with equal or better specs than Apple for well under $1000 some even Under $800!! Sure they may not be Widescreen but really it's not the shape of the LCD that determines price but the Resolution/brightness and Size of the Panel. Apple will find it hard now to justify a $500 premium with this new WIDESCREEN Dell that matches and surpasses Apple's Cinema Display in specs. This Dell is probably only the first of Widescreen Displays that will be coming out from varying manufactures at varying resolutions and sizes.

Sure I'm willing to pay a premium for Apple and I justly believe they should charge more but spending an extra $500 is insane. Apple Needs to drop the price to $999 for the 20inch Cinema Display that would be great!! If not that then at least a $100-$200 price drop within a couple of months. If Apple does not Drop Prices of the 20 inch LCD I could imagine as much as 1/3 of new PowerMac buyers who are looking for a Display will look elsewhere.

This is what I'm planning to get for my New PowerMac G5

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery2010_01

Reality Check for Apple:

http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=13&seo=20 - inch LCD

For Apple's 20 inch Cinema Display we pay 40-70% more than the competition!!!!

http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/searchresults.asp?dept_id=17&seo=21 + inch LCD

The 23inch Apple Cinema Display competes well though as there are only a coulple of LCDs cheaper and only about $300 cheaper which so we only pay a roughly 10-18% premium compared to the cheapest competitor options. Apple competes best with the 30 inch Cinema Display at 2560x1600 simply because there is no Competition there for $3299

23. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

Show me a Dell monitor that is SWOP certified and I'll buy one, until then I'll stick with Apple Cinema Displays thanks. Just comparing the brightness and contrast is no way to judge the quality of an LCD display.

Apple pays considerably more for their displays and they need to meet a much more stringent quality control process. Dells displays would never meet the specs to gain certification. If colour accuracy is important to your workflow then Dells LCDs aren't even in the ball park.

24. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Uh.. Huh... and Apple's Pink tinge problem and Color Calibration Problems go along way to adding merit to the SWOP Certification. I hope you know that almost all Monitor makers including Apple get their LCD Panels from the same companies Primarily Samsung and LG. Sure Apple's Color Accuracy is without a doubt top notch but there are others that have SWOP certification that are priced Cheaper and if you look at Apples own support and Discussion website I think you will find many who are unhappy with the newest 20 and 23 inch Cinema Displays Due to Color Accuracy Problems not to mention others.