Do I smell an Aodobe rat?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Moof1904, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I recently installed "Little Snitch" on my Mac to monitor outbound communications from my applications that may be going on without my knowing. (Partly for security reasons and partly just for curiosity.)

I've been running Acrobat 6 (full version) ever since it came out (more than a year ago?). As many applications do, I learned through Little Snitch that Acrobat was checking for available updates whenever it was launched.

Lately, I've not wanted to bother with having Acrobat check for updates, so I've been denying the connection that Acrobat attempts to make when launched.

After a couple of weeks of this, my Acrobat has suddenly and mysteriously de-serialized itself. Launching it last night resulted in the license agreement screen and then a serialization dialog box. Obviously, it's not a big deal to re-serialize it. I just have to walk across my study, grab the box and enter the serial number again. The real concern I have here, is what else is going on that Adobe would equip acrobat with the de-serialize feature that's designed to invoke if Acrobat can't phone home?

I admit this could be a coincidence, but I've used Acrobat since version 1.0 in a busy, cross platform publishing environment and I've never seen this behavior before.

The paranoid in me wonders if Acrobat is doing more than just checking for updates on launch. Something important enough that Adobe thinks it warrants de-serializing the software if the conncection is refused.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i think they do it because of piracy. Adobe puts a lot of work in it so that its hard to pirate their software.