do I still need Rosetta?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by macsig, Aug 27, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Hello guys,
    is there a way to check out if my apps need Rosetta?
    With the upcoming release of Snow Leopard I'd like to be sure I still need Rosetta before upgrading my machines.

Thanks

2. macrumors regular

jck1634

Im not sure but I think in the [Get Info] screen, under KIND: if it says Application (PowerPC) then I think you need Rosetta installed. If they are all KIND: Application (Intel) or (Universal) I think you'll be ok without Rosetta.

3. macrumors Core

alphaod

Just check 'System Profiler' —> Software —> Applications.

It lists if any apps are Universal, PowerPC or Intel; if it's PowerPC (oppose to Intel or Universal) you need Rosetta. Or see if those apps have updated versions that are universal.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry but I don't understand where I have to look.

Moreover, if it is possible I'd like a way to check out all my apps together.
    Since I have dozens of apps in each machine it will take awhile to check "manually" each application.

Thanks

5. macrumors 601

I also read that Office Mac 2008 requires Rosetta for the installer only. However, Sl will prompt if you want to install Rosetta if it sees any need for it.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

So it will check it out for me. it this correct?

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks Man

8. macrumors 601

Yes. If you attempt to install or run an app that requires Rosetta and it is not already installed, SL will prompt you to install it. It is a very quick download and install process (all automatic after you give the OK). For example, if you have Office 2004 installed and you upgrade to SL, on first boot SL will ask to install Rosetta, because Office 2004 loads a utility on boot that requires Rosetta.

9. macrumors newbie

Does this mean we will be able to uninstall rosetta as well?

I bought office 04 when circuit city closed (It was cheaper than iWorks 09, plus I was used to it at the time) but since going mac, I feel I should go all the way with it.

If I ever decide to dump office, which would be the main reason for rosetta, (That and visual novels ^^;;) could I uninstall it?

10. macrumors 601

Why would you need to uninstall it? What harm is it doing if you don't use it?

11. macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I saw a Snow Leopard installation screenshot, and Rosetta only seems to take up about 2.8MB. This is about the size of a small MP3 song. I too was questioning whether to install Rosetta, but after seeing its small size, I'm definitely going to. It's not like Rosetta will slow your machine down if you don't use it...

I'd say just install it. :)

12. macrumors newbie

I was thinking it was why we'd get back 7 gigs of space on the hd.
    Seems like I was wrong :p

13. macrumors regular

Very interesting to see all the app that system profiler list as 64 bit intel. Most all of them on our system.

14. macrumors 65816

macrem

When you see a program that still requires rosetta, it's a sign that it's time to move on...

15. macrumors 65816

macrem

Just drag the apps into the Trash :)