Do I use xcode to build widgets?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by cbrain, Dec 25, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

cbrain

I am wanting to sart building widgets and I know what files a widget requires but I would like to know, do I use xcode to build them? If so, which template do I use?

2. macrumors 68000

Aniej

thanks for asking this, I meant to for a long time and kept forgetting.

3. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are some widget examples that come with Xcode, and information on how to make them over at Apple.

If you sign up for a free Apple Developer Connection account, you could also download a copy of Dashcode, a development environment for making simple widgets. You don't actually need this tool, but it could be a big help if you aren't sure where to begin.

4. macrumors 68000

tominated

get dashcode by following iMeowBot's instructions. it is alot easier than coding them manually

5. macrumors 68000

Aniej

Thanks I am an ADC member so I will go grab that now.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

Thanks for the information.

Dashcode is actually bookmarked on my old machine. I don't have an ADC membership but I am planning on getting it.

7. macrumors 68040

mduser63

Yeah, Dashcode is the way to go. It was just barely released as an official beta, so there's not a whole lot of information on how to use it yet, but it's a full-blown IDE and it looks quite powerful. It will be included with Leopard.

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

Ok, so I take it I can make widgets in xcode. Which Project do I use because I can't find anything to do with widgets. I'm guessing I use "Empty Project". Am I correct?

9. macrumors regular

No, not really. You don't "compile" widgets, so Xcode isn't needed. Just use it for actually writing code (I.E. - without an actual project.)

Your widget should be composed of Javascript, images, CSS, ect... Then you take that, put all in a folder, and change the extension name to .wdgt

That is basically it :p

10. macrumors 68040

mduser63

No.

I'm a little confused. Everybody in this thread told you to use Dashcode, yet you still think that XCode is the thing to use. XCode and Dashcode are not the same thing. XCode is for application development using C/C++/Objective-C and Java. Dashcode is for widget development using Javascript (primarily anyway).

Go download Dashcode and use that. Forget about XCode.

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

cbrain

I know what xcode is, don't worry. I was just interested to see if there is an xcode template for Dashboard Widgets.

I'll try Dashcode when I get the chance. ;)

12. macrumors 68040

mduser63

As far as I know there is no XCode project template for a widget. I don't see any reason why you couldn't write the JavaScript in XCode's text editor if you really like it, but I don't think it will provide code-completion, syntax highlighting, etc for JavaScript. Dashcode on the other hand is focused on JavaScript.