Do iPods really download a CD in 10 seconds?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by gfroyle, Mar 24, 2004.

1. gfroyle macrumors member

I am not sure where to put this question, but hardware discussion seemed the best of the options.

I just read an ad from my local Apple store claiming that iPods can "store" a CD in 10 seconds.... is this really true, and if so, what is the iPod actually doing with the data?

I ask because I am currently storing my CD collection into iTunes on my new PB15 - and it takes me a lot longer than 10 seconds to rip the CD (into AAC); in fact I get speeds usually around 5x - 6x (as reported on the little iTunes status bar as it imports), thus taking about 10 minutes per CD. This varies widely from album to album though, with some importing at 10-15x and others only at 2-3x. I was trying vaguely to figure out whether more complex music would compress less and therefore take longer, and thus use this rating as a "complexity" measure, but it didn't seem to hold up.

So what gives?

Should I be getting better performance than this - it is a brand new 1.25G PB with a superdrive...

Cheers

Gordon

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

They are referring to transferring MP3's or AAC's to your iPod from your machine, not the encoding process.

Your times seem about right for ripping a CD.

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Generally, yes.

But, what settings are you using? Error correction and a higher encoding rate slow it down, as does the speed of your CD-drive.

AppleMatt

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

check your energy saver setting. you must be running at reduced cpu speed. also, were you running some other programs?

i have 867 MHz/PB 12" - and it gets up to about 7 to 8x ripping. (AAC/160 kbps) so i'd expect yours to be able to rip faster than that...

oh, one more thing... how much RAM you got?

5. stuckwithme247 macrumors regular

The ripping speed varies per cd as well, some perfectly clean discs will only rip at around 8 while others can go to around 12

6. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The ripping speed also varies with the brand of optical drive you have. Since apple has a couple of suppliers, the same powerbook may have different suppliers and rip at different speeds.

7. rikers_mailbox macrumors 6502a

Ripping speed may also be slowed by enabling error correction when reading CDs. Look under 'Importing' in the iTunes preference pane.

-rik

8. briankonar macrumors regular

my 933 rips cds at 10.x + on average. If i'm multitasking (photoshop, director, etc. at same time) i get about 6-8.x rip speed. I'm sure Firewire is a faster interface, plus it's only transferring data. 10 seconds per CD to iPod is pretty normal. Your rip speeds seem a little ow for a 1.25. What are your settings? I'm at 256 Custom AAC.

i'm not using error correction.

9. fonch macrumors newbie

itunes to ipod transfers a CD in 10 seconds

The quote about downloading a CD in 10 seconds only applies to music you already have in iTunes which is transferred to the iPod when you plug it in.
    As for the speed of your cd burner, I have a dual-usb ibook g3 500mhz and I top out at 2.9x, as long as no other programme is running at the same time. Running other programmes has slowed the transfer speed into iTunes down to as low a 1.5x for me.