Do Macs add Value to Your Property?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by a456, Feb 3, 2007.

1. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005
    I recently sold a house and by coincidence the estate agents used Macs. They were therefore impressed to see my PowerBook sitting on my desk. Not only that but half the houses we looked at actually had an iMac (of varying ages) in them. Of course as a Mac user myself, their presence was a welcome sight and said to me that the type of people that lived in the house (and hopefully the surrounding area were like-minded). But my question is do buyers see a Mac and think that these are not the kind of people to knock down a price, whereas if they see some other PC they might think - bargain hunters it's worth a try? Anyone had any experiences?

Strangely the house we bought did not have a Mac in it and the walls were painted in the most hideous of colours. We did get a good discount though, whereas our buyers didn't even really try - hence my question.
  2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    LoL! Well, from a purely aesthetic standpoint I'd imagine it is possible for well positioned Apple Mac's, along with other quality and contemporary furnishings, to increase the value of a property. I don't think, for the vast majority of buyers, having Mac's on display is anything more than windowdressing though.

Most people certainly don't regard PC's as cheap in general.
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    No way!

I like the way they look, but I don't think owning a Mac has to do with someone's ability to negotiate.

It's like someone who's wearing shoes is harder to negotiate with than someone wearing Birkenstocks because people who wear sandals are too lazy to put on a proper pair of shoes.

Ok, it's not quite like that, but it's just as crazy.