Do MACS Have spyware installed on them??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wake up Jobs!!!, Feb 20, 2004.

1. wake up Jobs!!! macrumors regular

Some People were saying that macs or all computer for that matter have spyware that gets your info and sends it to people that you "wouldnt normally want to have get it" such as hackers etc.... Is ther a spybot for a mac or anything else to combat these things. I have dsl and i think since my connection is allways open that i am suseptible to hacking and illegal ifo taking off my comp.
    Thanks dudes.....
    Gabe-O

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I'm not sure if there is spyware for Macs, there is a program called MacScan (can be found at version tracker and securemac.com) that supposedly scans for spyware. I did download it, but didn't install it after it asked for root access to my computer. From many of the comments on version tracker it doesn't look like it works anyway.

Anybody know of other spyware hunters for the Mac?

3. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

I dunno who told you that, but it's a load of crap. Such things do not exist for the Mac, they only exist for Windows. There is only 1 exception, which is RealOne player - it's major spyware, so don't get it.

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

That question really had three parts: is there any Mac spyware, are there tools to search for it, and a worry about always-on internet connections.

As far as spyware goes, I know of none. It's possible that RealOne player phones home with what you've been watching on it, and LimeWire might keep some info you'd rather it didn't, but I know of no applications that behave quite like traditional Windows spyware. Doesn't mean it won't, or can't, exist, but at the very least any application with a drag-and-drop install isn't able to modify the system to add anything evil--an admin password is needed to do that.

Checkers, none I've ever heard of, and certainly none I'd actually trust--they're sketchy enough on the Windows side of things. What I'd do instead, if you think you installed something shady, is to open up Activity Monitor and look through the list of open processes. There's a lot of unix stuff in there, but a spyware app would probably stick out if you know roughly what you're looking at. You could also watch network traffic when you're not doing anything--if you keep seeing spikes of outgoing data, then something's amiss.

Third, keep yourself patched, and you're 99% safe from hackers. If you want to be extra careful, turn on OSX's built-in firewall, which works well--the combination of up-to-date security, a good passworkd, and the firewall should take care of all but the most talented and dedicated hackers, who aren't likely to bother with your computer anyway.

6. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Yup, Makosuke pretty much has it...

I do know that RealOne/RealPlayer is MAJOR spyware, even going as far as mining for CC#s. Killer is, it's in the user agreement that you allow it. :eek:

7. Rend It macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I downloaded and have been using RealOne player for about two weeks now. How do I get it off my Mac? And if I get rid of the player, will there still be spyware?

Thanks,
    Rend It

8. grobbins macrumors member

No spyware in RealOne Player

There is no spyware in RealOne Player for Mac OS X. It does not make any inappropriate use of personal information.

If you sign in to Real's subscription service, it will send back the e-mail address and password used to sign in to your account to verify your access to the premium video and audio, but that's all.

9. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

man..i threw away real player anyway after reading the post..does it make any entry in the preferences too??

10. grobbins macrumors member

RealOne Player keeps its preferences in the Library/Preferences folder inside your home directory, in a file called com.RealNetworks.RealOne Player.plist. You can read the file with a text editor to see what it is storing.

11. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

If you have the developer CD installed, it will open by default in Property List Editor, which will display it in a more user friendly way.

12. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Of course, preferences cannot be executed in anyway so there is no need to worry.

An easy check to see if you have spyware or something suspicious on your machine...

Every week run top and take a look at the running applications. If you notice anything sus, ask around, some developer might tell you what it is, otherwise you can kill it quite easily.

As for spyware, I know of none and it would be rather hard to install on a Mac due to permissions, so there is little/no need to worry.

Mat

13. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Another thing you could do is install the program "Little Snitch", which reports apps trying to phone home.

14. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

the answer is YES. when apple ships a MACS from the factory it come with abut 5,700 pieces of spyware on it. most of this sends your info to apple and the RIAA and tracks all of the pr0n sites and music you download. this is done so that when apple launches iPr0n with osx 10.4 (codename: weasel) they can keep track of u. the only way to clear this up is with Norton BlowSmoke 2004.

i'm terribly sorry, but i couldn't resist. that was actually my response to this and many other posts that deal with the same thing :D

at present, i'm pretty sure there's no spyware in the wintel sense (a program that runs invisibly and clogs up your machine). there are probably some apps like the aforementioned limewire and realplayer that send info back home, but stop once you quit the program. as far as security goes, os x is about toughest nut to crack there is. just keep the firewall on in the system prefs (if you don't have a hardware one in your router) and you'll be ok.

15. mms macrumors 6502a

And, regarding the thread title... For future reference, only the "m" is capitalized in the word Mac. MACS is wrong, and it should be Macs.

There are no known spyware programs or viruses for Mac OS X. OS X is one of the most stable and secure operating systems out there. I would not recommend using most virus/spyware check utilities, esp Norton.

16. applekid macrumors 68020

First, you must define "spyware."

People are overreacting about spyware to a certain degree.

For example, there are claims that the Windows Updater is "spyware." Yes, it scans your HD to check for updates of software. But isn't that what Software Update does for MacOS X? Even Microsoft wouldn't go as low to put spyware on their computers purposely.

17. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There IS spyware for OSX, but nothing compared to the amount that is out there for Windows, and it's not something i worry about on my mac.

18. unixkid macrumors member

no

there is NO spy ware for the mac chaszmyr! all the spyware thats out there is writen for windows and the x86 processors and there no way u can get spyware on a mac. why would they write there crap for a platform that only takes up like 3-5% of the market. they figure there time is better spent writing spyware for 90% of the comps out there so they can collect FAR MORE info on FAR dumber computer users. 70+% of the windows users r to lazy and to confused to figure out how to DL updates and adaware.

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes there is, it was part of the deal that MicroSoft made with Apple when they loaned them $100 million and agreed to continue making MS Office.

It sends all the info to MicroSoft, used to be called MS Explorer.

[​IMG]