Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I have to use a screen cover before closing my PowerBook because the screen hits the keys. I was just wondering if the MBP's are the same way or if they have the necessary clearance between the screen and keys. :confused:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I used to have one for my MacBook, but have stopped bothering...

If you pick it up one-handedly (while it's closed) or have it in a bag where there is a fair amount of pressure applied to the (middle of the) top case, then a sleeve might not be dumb... :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
GimmeSlack12 said:
If it needed one it would have come with one. Just don't stab the screen with knives and you should be ok.
Well... that's the thing... they do actually come with one,
that protects the screen during shipping. That's the one I've been using (and my girlfriend still uses the one that came with her iBook almost a year ago).

anim8or

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2006
Scotland, UK
GimmeSlack12 said:
If it needed one it would have come with one. Just don't stab the screen with knives and you should be ok.

The notebooks do come with a screen protector, as flimsy as it may be it is still recommended that users keep the thin foam insert when closing the lid of their notebook, either that or buy a screen sleeve like he on eposted above or similar, http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx

Why wouldnt one use a screen protector when it only cost a few £$£$, when it could potentially save 100s £$£$?

I say buy one or keep the one apple use for shipping.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
I use one from RadTech, After my TiBooks keyboard imprinted itself on to the screen, I'm not going to take any chances this time. The RadTech protector makes a nice cleaning cloth as well.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
Yeah it's pretty much mandatory with the PowerBook ... and from what I'm hearing here, it's probably a good idea to use one on the MBP as well. Thanks guys. :)

gmckenzi

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I have a 17" PB (only six months old and when the Merom MBP is announced my PB will be replaced) and I use the Radtech product. It's the amount of flex in the aluminum casing (that I've got to believe is the same in the MBP) that makes me thankful for using the keyboard cover.

Just closing the lid doesn't cause physical contact, but it doesn't take much pressure at all to cause the screen and keys to contact. My PB commutes inside a Briggs and Riley bag[1] and unless the rest of the bag is empty, by the time I get home I can see the imprint of the keys in the soft felt-like fabric of my Radtech screen protector.

[1] http://www.briggs-riley.com/busines...matebigscreencomputerbrief.asp?ShowInside=yes

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I have wondered this about my MBP as well. My friend's 14in iBook G4 had imprint problems, but so far my MBP has been fine. Since April it has been to school in my bag every day- excluding the summer. It has also been on two week trips to Europe, San Diego, and New York, all including multiple flights/train travel/car rides, and so far, no screen imprints.

atticus1178

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
Austin, Texas
i take my mbp to school everyday in my backpack, protected by only a laptop second skin case by targus, my screen is still in perfect condition, no marks

i just always make sure and put the laptop in the outer part of the bag (not the part of that bag that is on my back, that way there is no pressure on the screen, i also put the screen side out)

i dont think a protector is necessary unless you will putting a lot of pressure on the lid

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.