Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
A lot was made about this when they were just released, and my friend's MBP gets pretty scorching hot (he bought his around May), but not too many people seem to bring it up anymore. I just got a Macbook at work, and it runs relatively cool/no moo.

Anyways, do current MBP's still get really hot?

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
NewSc2 said:
A lot was made about this when they were just released, and my friend's MBP gets pretty scorching hot (he bought his around May), but not too many people seem to bring it up anymore. I just got a Macbook at work, and it runs relatively cool/no moo.

Anyways, do current MBP's still get really hot?
After I got the new Logic Board installed I saw a drastic decrease in temperature. Much much cooler. But I don't know if the new MBP's have the new board installed or not though.

aidan60657

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2006
Depends on what you call issues

My 2.16 runs along between 120 - 140 F usually. When it's working hard (like playing Flash videos, strangely) it hikes up to about 160 or 170 F.

Either way, it's bloody hot underneath the machine.

I bought mine last week from the Apple Store on Regent Street, London. No idea when it was built.

Regardless of the heat, it runs fine and I don't notice any issues.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Temujin said:
After I got the new Logic Board installed I saw a drastic decrease in temperature. Much much cooler. But I don't know if the new MBP's have the new board installed or not though.

I just received a replacement MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz (week 34) and it is better than my first 2.0Ghz (week 17).

Anything past week 18 or 19 should have the new logic board.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Boxer said:
Yes. They are still very hot. I don't think they will ever get around the heat issue. They are alluminum. Heat comes with the territory.

I am afraid that your predicition will no doubt be right on Boxer. :)

Aluminum + 1" thin + super-fast Core Duo = toasty. :D

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
well mine runs cool. bought it 2 weeks ago. according to coconut Identity Card my MBP was made 4 weeks ago. When running on battery the heat is no problem at all. When its on the charger it gets slightly warmer but nothing thats just stupidly hot. Its my first mac too so i cant complain :)

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Mine gets pretty hot when surfing the internet, but when I'm playing The Sims, it doesn't get as hot (or maybe I just don't notice it). Go figure. Well, I can't wait to see those Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros. They'd probably make a nice space heater in the winter.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
well, my Powerbook got really warm, almost hot sometimes, warm enough where I wouldn't want to put it on a bare lap for too long, so I know laptops are all warm.

I just don't want something that would burn a bare lap or burn desks or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.