Do NASCAR and Mac go together?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mac-er, Jun 29, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

I've never seen anyone on here talk about the US's top auto-racing..NASCAR.

Any NASCAR fans on here?

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Just my opinion but gigantic monstrosities with no style or engineering finesse and Mac no I don't think so. :p

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I'm a big fan.

I've got the stickers, flags, commorative cups, the whole thing. I go to the Texas and Talladega each year.

4. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Most of the (big) race shops have engineering PhD's on staff to help design the cars...takes a lot of engineering finesse.
    EDIT:Though maybe you were talking about the looks, not the parts. :eek:

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I've been going to Talladega for over 20 years. Not as much lately, but when my kids get older we'll all be going back more often.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yes but the cars come at 1/10th of the price. There was a kid who ran a race a few months ago with no sponsorship what so ever. He convinced some friends to put up a bit of money so he could put together a car and race.

7. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I always thought NASCAR was for people who were hamsters in a previous life, and their reward for being good hamsters is that they get to do it again, only this time with motors.

I honestly don't understand what it is that gets everyone all worked up. They drive round and round in a big circle, and from what I can gather, everyone has the one randomly-chosen driver they worship and at least one that they wouldn't pee on were he on fire. Just my opinion, but it makes no sense to me.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Not a huge NASCAR fan, but I got comp skybox tickets to Dover a few years running, from one of our local paper merchants (Mead is a corporate sponser of Rusty Wallace, who is a whiny little cuss). Standing at the start line on a restart is one of the most amazing feelings. Having 40-some cars go by you at 180MPH, only 8-10 feet away, is impressive. When you see them doing that only inches from one another, you have to appreciate the cojones, if not the skill.

All that aside, I don't see Apple sponsoring a car anytime soon. ;)

9. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Amateur cars may be that cheap, but NEXTEL Cup cars cost over $150,000 and a race team can take up to $20 million a year to finance

10. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe they should...Microsoft and Dell sponsor the Chip Ganassi teams...

what would the Apple car look like? brushed metal? :)

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

If this is to be a poll:

I've been a Mac user for my whole life, and never have been remotely interested in following NASCAR.

12. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    ill watch it if someone else is watching it, but primarily for the wrecks. :rolleyes:

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like the engineering developments, but I have a hard time following the racing. I even love enthusiast driving, but I don't care for track races....

14. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Attached Files:

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I can see watching it on TV but to be there and watch the cars go by, wait 2 minutes, then they go by again, I don't get it. I did however enjoy watching dirt track racing from the middle of the track, that was fun to see.

16. brogers macrumors regular

Huge fan here. Racing is something that simply amazes me. I did a "ride along" in Charlotte at 170 miles an hour. Put 43 cars on the track and you don't have "riding around in circles." You've got an adrenaline rush and nerves of steal. See one race in person and your jaw will drop...trust me. The talent it takes is largely overlooked because people see it as stupid or otherwise easy. Afraid not. The cars are engineered from scratch and have to match any number of NASCAR specs. Different cars for different tracks and on and on. And NASCAR wrote the book on sports sponsorship. A small spot in the hood of a car like Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr. can cost as much as $1 million smacks.

Also, look at the fan base. This year I've been to three races and there can be as many as 160,000 fans at a race. That's twice the amount of people at the Super Bowl.....and that's every weekend for 36 weeks. The other part I like is the involvement of the drivers in so many different organizations for good causes. And generally the drivers are very accessible to fans, don't make near the money as some other sports stars and they don't usually act as down right ugly as many of our basketball, football and baseball stars.

Anyway, I love macs and racing......

17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I was under the impression that the average formula 1 car came in at 1-2 million.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

NASCAR has engineering developments? :eek:

But seriously, the only things that go with NASCAR are Pabst, Skoal, and Colt .45. :p

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Some time last year, a private party (Richard somethingorother) bought Michael Schumacher's F2001 (or was it F1-2000?) from Ferrari for about $/£1m (don't remember which. There was an article in Evo (or Car, I can't remember anything! :rolleyes: ) about it). That was for a 3-4 year old car, for private non-race use. Not including R&D, a single chassis & engine probably costs (in materials and manufacturing) $3-4m. Of course, you could go the cheaper way (they have Schumi's B194 no. 5. 4 wins, 2 fastest laps, including the outright record at Monaco! :eek: )

20. shane1 macrumors member

Absolutely.

I've never understood sports fans that use straw men to attack sports they don't like or understand.

"It's just a bunch of angry Canadians chasing a puck!"

"It's just a bunch of black guys chasing a ball!"

"It's just a bunch of rednecks driving in circles!"

Especially on a site such as these where most of us at least feign some intelligence :rolleyes:

Sports suck when you don't understand them. Sports suck even more when you go out of your way not to understand them because they're "beneath" you. NASCAR is not about technological marvels exploding through twisties at insane speeds. That's what F1 is for. Both are pretty ****ing cool, but for different reasons.

NASCAR is all about levelling off the technological advantages between the race teams and letting the drivers and crews sort it out on the track. NASCAR is also about putting on a great show for its extremely loyal fan base. Like a previous poster stated, these guys are going 150mph+ in extremely close quarters. The skill is not in holding a mathematically precise line through a complex set of turns, but in drafting and maneuvering advantageous positions within inches of certain mayhem with your fellow competitors. While holding the safety of yourself and 42 other drivers in the balance, you're also using your expertise with racing machines to communicate the state of your car to your pit crew so you can make the right adjustments when the time comes.

And, like every other motorsport, you're losing about 10 lbs. of sweat while you do it.

21. mac-er thread starter macrumors 65816

Not sure....higher cost probably becuase they aren't derived from stock.
    I would be interested to see the difference between NASCAR and F1 in terms of profits, fans, and financials.

22. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Oh yeah I forgot to mention I did get to do Richard Petty's driving school at the Disney World rack a few years ago. We each got a ride-along first, which is pretty awesome. The we each did four sets of ten laps, driving alone in the car, but following a professional driver. They kept you at a distance and at a decent speed. I maxed out at 135 on a straight, the best in the class, and felt like I could have gone faster. But it's probably not as easy as it sounds. It was a blast either way.

23. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

NASCAR and other motorsports just make me sick. Hours and hours of watching 100 cars drive around in a circle wasting our precious natural resources. Ugh I just want to throw large objects when I see that "sport" advertised... :p

24. roadapple macrumors regular

cars go by
    scream "whoooo"
    take a drink
    yell at the guy next to you "your driver sucks"
    take a drink
    yell at his girl "show us your t***" (cringe when she does)
    take a drink
    yell at no one in particular "Jeff Gordon sucks"
    take a drink
    cars go by
    My memories from the Pepsi 400

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, there's nothing more entertaining then watching cars driving around in a circle.

Oh wait, yes there is. Watching paint dry and troubleshooting Windows.