Do new iphones tend to have a weird smell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lalacharlee, Feb 26, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    My iphone 4s that I got at the beginning of January, I had a weird moment and smelt the bottom of my iphone, where the charger slot is. It has a bizarre smell like not burning but a very prominent plastic smell, the end of the charger has this smell too.
    My mothers ipad and her charger do not have this smell but are significantly older.

I've read a few threads of iphones magically combusting up into flames and thought I might ask.
    Do your new iphones have this smell?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2009
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    Thanks for that.

Any serious answers?
  4. macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    All of the electronics I've bought tend to have this "new computer smell" for a while. So it's probably normal.
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    It's such a weird smell to be honest. I can't quite put my finger on it to describe it. But it's very strong when you put your nose right up to it.

I hope it's normal!
  6. macrumors 603

Sep 4, 2011
    Who cares and why does this bother you? I thought you hold a phone up to your ear...
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    You do.

If you have no constructive input, don't post here lol.
    Also read the last 2 lines of my original post. Thanks :)
  8. macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2012
    Personally, I like the smell of leather. That's why I use a Sena leather pouch for my iPhone.
  9. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    Sounds awesome!
  10. macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2012
    Ive only been on this forum for a few months but this is the weirdest thread ive come across.

With that said my iphone smells like plastic i guess.
  11. Mrbobb, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

macrumors 601

Aug 27, 2012
    Ooohhh haven't heard this one, Smell-Gate!

Am thinking traces of bio matter is between the contacts of the power feed pins, it's acting as a resistor and "burning" in the process. Attempt to clean. Surfaces of the phone is warm during charge is normal, but hot is not.
  12. macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Hmm, I've never though of sniffing my phone. If it smells weird, does that entitle me to a new one?
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    MN, USA
    Umm...Smell...god, smell the lightning cable. Also the USB portion.

Smell like burnt plastic? If yes, get that cable (and the phone if Apple will let you) replaced.

I had a similar problem with my Jawbone Up and it's cord.
  14. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    Yes, the USB and the USB slot also smell like charging slot and end to it..
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    MN, USA
    Bring it to the Apple Store. No need to risk safety.

Do a backup of your iPhone before you go.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Nov 18, 2010
    Mine smells like victory
  17. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    There are no apple stores in New Zealand.
    There's not much I can do at this point apart from paying the express fee, which I also can't afford, not with school and all the other necessary things in my life, it actually took me a long time to save up for it after experiencing my mothers ipad and falling in love with iOS. But that was when I had time off school and other things and was able to afford it, and now I can't.

Should of thought about where I was buying the iphone from.. when I got it from the Apple NZ site I assumed there would be an apple store in NZ but turns out the Apple NZ base is in Sydney.

I would of bought it elsewhere if I knew this of course, but I was urged by a few other apple users to get it through Apple so I didn't hesitate. Also made the stupid mistake of not researching if the Apple store was infact in my country without my stupid assumption that it was, you see I tend to buy things online anyway since I don't really go out of my town, just to school, work and friends, so I didn't make myself clear by actually seeing if there was a store, dumb mistake I know.

When I splurged out all of my money on it, it came with a wobbly home button which I was quite OCD to at first but got over it. And when I tried to phone apple I couldn't do much being behind the phone, he'd shut me down everytime and go on and on about how I should buy applecare and when I said I couldn't afford it I got the "Oh" reply and he quickly ended the conversation, bad customer service. He also went on to telling me there is infact an apple factory in NZ I could take it to but he refused to tell me where it was or the postcode to find out where it was. He just told me to go to the 'find store' page and tap in random postcodes till I found it. Later after researching I found he was wrong. I think that was just his way of distracting me from the real point to get me off the phone.

So far my experiences with Apple have been terrible. But there is no doubt that I love this phone and android is measly is comparison (could be argued but this is my opinion)
  18. macrumors member

Mar 17, 2012
    It's the fine smell of that chemical glass cleaner and/or glue that our Chinese friends breath in every day at the factory. Truly harmless. "Oh it's're not dizzy, just keep making them iPhones and remember your contract says NO suicide"
  19. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 25, 2013
    It honestly smells kinda like oranges...
    but I think it's just me.

When I first opened it was like a woosh of orange scent in my face, quickly the phone got covered up and then I had my weird moment and it smelt like plasticy orange weirdness and yeah.
  20. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2008
  21. macrumors Nehalem

Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
  22. macrumors 68020

Oct 26, 2008
  23. macrumors 6502a

Jul 13, 2008
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    My old iPhone 4 always had a strong glue smell from its headphone port and inside of the SIM tray slot. It never went away after a year. I actually really liked it and used to sniff it rather a lot...

Disappointingly, my iPhone 5 doesn't smell at all. :(
  24. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2012
    Oh crap you should definitely go to the Apple store and ask for an exchange. When they ask you why, tell them that the port connector smells.

Personally, I have a cold so I don't smell anything. :(
  25. macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Does it continue to have a weird smell? If it's just by the charging area, then I would take it to apple to exchange.