Do new Powerbooks ship with Classic

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jhgd143, Oct 30, 2003.

1. jhgd143 macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2003
    I need to buy a 15" Powerbook, but I'm a Quark 5.0 user, so I still need to use Classic mode. Have got mixed reports on whether the new Powerbooks ship with Classic, and whether they can even run it. Anybody know for sure.

PS. I know Quark 6 is finally OS X native, but I don't know anyone who had dared to use it yet.
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    both panther and jaguar will have classic on them by default. i think you are wondering if new machines can boot into OS 9. in such a case, the answer is no. last OS 9 bootable powerbook is the 15" Ti.
  3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    yes yes ,, they come with classic.

presinstalled. which i dont like as i never use classic so id rather not have it ...
  4. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    yeah, I bought the 15" ti at a great price, thinking how I might need to boot into 9 one more time....

it hasn't happened in 3 months, anyways, I installed Panther with every single option & classic WAS not installed. I even went back to the disk, and never saw an option for it....

what am I missing?
  5. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2003
    The 909
    sudo rm -rf "/System Folder"

OS 9 is completely self-contained, so it's easy to get rid of...:D
  6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Jun 23, 2003
    St Augustine, FL
    OS 9 is pre-installed if you buy a new computer but it is not included with an OS X purchase, for that, you need to either have it on your original software recovery disc or buy it separately.
  7. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    That's weak, I guess I need to find my OS9 disk